Donate an hour for literacy
By Russ Lay | Outer Banks Voice on August 9, 2011
Can you spare one hour for a great cause?
The non-profit Dare Literacy Council is preparing for its next Book Sale Fundraiser to be held Saturday, Oct. 8 at The Marketplace Shopping Center in Southern Shores.
But before the sale, the council needs a lot of help. Proceeds from the book sale are its main source of income to keep programs going. The DLC offers free tutoring for adults who wish to learn to read, improve reading or math skills, learn English or study for their GED.
If you can spare at least an hour of your time to help, the council would like to hear from you.
Below is a list of some of the things the council needs volunteers to do.
If you are interested in volunteering, call (252) 216-7773 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sample Volunteer Tasks (before the sale)
- help find other volunteers
- assist book sale coordinator (phone calls, logistics)
- develop creative ways to draw people in on sale day (we have some ideas, but we’d love to hear yours)
- donate printing services
- pick up book donations
- sort books
- post publicity flyers
- serve as an interim storage area (prior to moving books to storage facility)
- transport books to storage facility and sale site
- offer use of your truck to transport books (you drive, we help load and unload)
Sample Volunteer Tasks (during & after the sale)
- set up the day before and morning of the sale
- count books at check out table
- keep sale tables orderly
- replenish sale tables
- help buyers to their cars with books
- sort and pack up books at end of sale
- disassemble and clean up after the sale
- load boxes for transport
- transport books to storage facility and recycling center
- unload boxes at storage facility