Artist Glenn Eure of Colington, Sept. 6

By on September 6, 2018

Beloved artist Glenn Eure, humanitarian and raconteur, passed away on Thursday, September 6, 2018, at Norfolk Sentara Heart Hospital weeks before his 87th birthday.

He is survived by his wife of 38 years, Pat, and family of four children and six grandchildren, including: Joellen Eure and her son D.J. Gandy and his wife Taryn; Dr. Bennie Jarvis and husband Dr. David Jarvis and their children Will, Glenn and Faith; Benajah Glenn Eure; and Mary Shea and her husband Ken Shea and their sons Kyle and Sammy Glenn; and by his children’s mother Bennie Lamm Eure.

The owner of Glenn Eure’s Ghost Fleet Gallery in Nags Head was a familiar figure around the Outer Banks – at coffee shops, restaurants and community gatherings, always friendly and always quick with a compliment or corny joke. He loved people and when in a restaurant looked around for a person alone and bought their meal asking that the person not be told who did it.

His offbeat sense of humor and gift of gab were legendary. And, over the years, many an Outer Banks local or visitor has been bestowed with his favorite gift – a sketch of a beached boat, their name inscribed on the bow. The sketches were warmly known as the Eure “limited unlimited edition.”

Eure was an artist who could work in virtually any medium and a person dedicated to giving and lifting the spirit of each person he met.

He loved his country and retired from 23 years in the U.S. Army as a Major, during which he served two combat tours each in Korea and Vietnam. He served in many capacities from forward observer in Korea, the soldier who goes out ahead of the units getting as close to enemy lines as possible, to commanding an American artillery battery that was part of the Australian Artillery Regiment in Vietnam. He was a Member of VFW, the Hawaii Chapter of the Korean War Veterans Association, and MOAA Military Officers Association of America. Among his military honors are the Second Award of the Combat Infantry Badge, The Air Medal, a Purple Heart, and a Vietnamese Metal of Honor.

Born on the island of Oahu in the then territory of Hawaii of Portuguese ancestry, he was at age 11 among those evacuated to the mainland after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

After retirement from the Army, he earned his BFA from East Carolina University with a major in fine arts printmaking and minors in painting and sculpture. He opened his first Gallery in 1975 in a small shopping center complex, designing and building the current Ghost Fleet Gallery where his work is showcased, including collagraphs, woodcuts, etchings, watercolor, sculptural oil canvases, and relief carvings – on themes from abstract to nautical.

Over the years, his Gallery also featured exhibitions of guest artists, both emerging and accomplished, and provided a forum for community art events and literary presentation.

He was a long-time Rotarian. He was recipient of the “Service Above Self” Award by Rotary International, which is presented annually to only 50 out of 2 million Rotarians worldwide. He was awarded the Order of the Long Leaf Pine by the Governor of the State of North Carolina, the highest civilian distinction in the State. He has been honored by the Town of Nags Head as “Keeper of the Light.” And in 2010 at the Land of Beginning Festival, he was proclaimed an Outer Banks “Living Legend.”

A parishioner at Holy Redeemer Catholic Church, at age 78 he completed carving the nearly life-sized 14 Stations of the Cross as his gift to the Parish. He was a Knight of Columbus Annunciata Council 8759.

Eure also created the concept and design for the Monument to a Century of Flight behind the Visitors Center in Kitty Hawk and was one of the designers and builders of that tribute to flight. He was a co-founder of Icarus International, an organization that celebrated the beauty and mystery of flight and the soaring of the human spirit, and a former member of the Board of the First Flight Society.

The “larger than life” Glenn Eure has been described as having the energy of a locomotive and a whale-sized imagination and heart to match. During his life, he touched many other lives, and that is his real legacy.

A Mass of the Resurrection will be celebrated at 11:00 am on Friday, September 21, 2018, at Holy Redeemer by the Sea Catholic Church by the Rev. Dr. William F. Walsh, osfs. Military honors will follow. Following the mass, the family will receive friends and relatives in the parish hall for a reception provided by the Ladies by the Sea.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Glenn Eure Endowment for Arts Education through the Outer Banks Community Foundation, 13 Skyline Road, Southern Shores, NC 27949.

Twiford Funeral Home, Manteo is assisting the family with arrangements. Condolences may be expressed at www.TwifordFH.com.

PUBLIC NOTICE

On 5/27/2010 Edge Spectrum, Inc was granted a license by the FCC to serve the public interest in BUXTON, NC as a public trustee of WHOB-LD until 12/1/2020 when it expires. WHOB-LD Channel 50 filed an FCC renewal application for our 2.5 kW station transmitting from BUXTON, NC and serving the BUXTON area on 8/3/2020. Individuals who wish to advise the FCC of facts relating to our renewal application and to whether this station has operated in the public interest should file comments and petitions with the FCC. Information about the FCC broadcast license renewal process is available from the FCC, Washington, DC 20554.

Comments

• Greg Pinckard

I never met Mr. Eure but I have gained much while contemplating his carvings at Redeemer by the Sea. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Friday, Sep 7 @ 11:28 am
  • Carol Meyer

The OBX has lost a wonderful, talented and loved artist and gentleman.

Friday, Sep 7 @ 12:03 pm
  • RICKY PERRY

To Pat and extended family. My heart goes out to you in this hard time. Be strong and know that he is now in a glorified place in heaven.

Love and Peace

Ricky Perry

Friday, Sep 7 @ 2:24 pm
  • Sandy &Rich Hoffman

We had the pleasure of meeting the Eures in 2007 when Pat and I were both enduring chemotherapy together. Glen always arrived at the end of treatment with his usual charming words that always made us all feel special. He also brought us his unique boat drawings personalized for each of us. We will cherish them even more now. Pat, our thoughts are with you always.

Friday, Sep 7 @ 3:19 pm
  • Mark R Hageman

I had the pleasure of meeting Glenn in 1986 while at The Carolinian, always made the room come alive whenever he entered, no matter the setting, no matter his age. A true talent with an inquisitive spirit, always able to find the essence of the object de art he was creating. He will be missed…

Friday, Sep 7 @ 4:57 pm
  • Mike Davis

Remembering meeting Glenn from our early visits to his gallery years ago even before our move to the Outer Banks 25 years ago . And, yes, he asked Mary if she took Pretty Pills every time he saw her.. He was indeed a beloved raconteur and an avid promoter of the Outer Banks art scene His presence will be greatly missed by all.

Friday, Sep 7 @ 6:40 pm
  • didi tupper

Rick and i extend our heartfelt condolences to Pat and the entire Eure family. With the passing of Glenn Eure the Outer Banks has lost a truly remarkable man. Always ready to let the other person shine, Glenn was one of the most giving and sharing individuals around. His fellow artists will miss him, and so will all who have met him on his journey through life. RIP

Friday, Sep 7 @ 8:56 pm
  • Karlitos

Perhaps the kindest human I have ever known. You will be missed, and remembered.

Friday, Sep 7 @ 9:08 pm
  • p.Nash

Glenn Eure….I was in line at the ABC Store 2 days before Christmas… (getting a Christmas Gift)!….a few yrs back..when he turned around and said he was going to pay for all the people in lines bill..which was about 3 or 4 of us…..we all looked at each other and started to high5 him..he really just smiled… and each other more so..
    ..hahah ..what a treat that was..something else he was that Glenn Eure..!

Friday, Sep 7 @ 10:09 pm
  • Katie Mann

Glenn is truly a Legend indeed. One cannot visit OBX and not see his work, the Visitors Center, a Century of Flight, Keeper of the Light, the Stations of the Cross are breathtaking, a huge Humanitarian, Rotarian, Service above Self that is Glenn and highest civilian distinction in the State. That is Glenn the Legend. We will miss you beyond words, and especially your whit. Who has not heard his story about the talking dog. Rest in Peace my friend. You have made the world a better place. It has been my honor and priviledge to have shared time with you. I cherish your work and you will always have a special place in my heart.

Friday, Sep 7 @ 10:54 pm
  • Pete Groom

I’ve had the opportunity to know Glen over the years and have become enamored of his easy smile and gregarious attitude. He was a good man whom I shared some military stories with. The Outer Banks has lost one of its true treasures.

Saturday, Sep 8 @ 3:04 am
  • Eve and Pete Turek

Pat, our love and prayers are with you. What a gift Glenn was to everyone whose life he touched. He truly exemplified the call to love, wherever he was and whatever he did. How fitting there is an endowment in his honor, for his life was truly dedicated to helping others. I’ve heard people say, the Bible never recorded that Jesus laughed. He’s laughing now! Spread your joy all over heaven, Glenn. Whenever we hear a tall tale or a corny joke, we will hear you laughing with us in our hearts.

Saturday, Sep 8 @ 9:35 am
  • Gib & Lee Chapman

We as all others will miss Glenn and his delightful ways of making you smile, laugh, and enjoy the visits with him. We too are privileged and honored to have a few of his “limited, unlimited edition” prints which we will cherish and remember how creative, talented, and generous Glenn was to all. He will be missed and not forgotten.

Saturday, Sep 8 @ 10:31 am
  • Charlie Aycock

Glen was one of my first OBX friends when I moved here in 1977 and fortunately for me, that friendship endured and lasted until he passed away. His wife, Pat, was the perfect bride for Glen and he treasured her, as do I. My prayers are with my friend Glen and his bride at this time and all of us who knew him are truly blessed. Glen lived in peace, for the better part of his life, and I have no doubts he rests in heaven the same way.

Saturday, Sep 8 @ 1:21 pm
  • Patrick Phillips

So sorry to hear the news about one of my great friends from 70’s & 80’s…Glenn was one of the most kind, loving & remarkable people I have ever met. Can’t even begin tell you the number of times we met for lunch & the buffet at the Pizza Hut near his Ghost Fleet Gallery. He was also a great friend to my Mother Gloria Phillips owner of the Wanchese Handcraft Center & my Father & fellow artist Bill Phillips owner of Phillips Boatyard in Wanchese. When I lived at The Villas in the mid 70’s Glenn did a fantastic painting of a Pirate on a large nautical chart of Hispaniola & framed it with rustic sand fencing…still hangs in a place of honor in our home and always will. And yes he did one of his famous boat sketches form my Wife Kathy…
    (Which also is still on the wall) Pat be strong & remember of all the good times.

Saturday, Sep 8 @ 4:21 pm
  • Tanya Grabt

I met Glenn at the ophthalmologist office I worked for in the OBX over 12 years ago. He was kind, charming, and genuine. He drew me a sketch of a boat on shore with my name on it while he waited in the Dr office.
    I will give tribute to Glenn by finding that drawing and framing it! Give it a place in my wall and forever in my heart!

Saturday, Sep 8 @ 8:43 pm
  • John and Gina Rentz

We join with all others who love and will miss this remarkable man. And, yes, Glenn; Gina, Elizabeth and Katharine still take their pretty pills 😉

Sunday, Sep 9 @ 6:17 pm
  • Kevin Phillips

Glenn was my Uncle. He was truly a remarkable and talented man. His gifts of talent and personality have always been an inspiration to me. We too have one of his drawings of a stranded boat with my Mother’s name “Joetta” on the stern that he created for my Father C.W. Phillips. Glenn was always a favorite of my parents.

Monday, Sep 10 @ 8:55 am
  • Jack Crawford

Glenn was one of the first I met when I migrated to the Outer Banks in 1985. It was through the North Banks Rotary Club. We both eventually served as club President and had the occasion to work together on club projects often. We traveled to the Charleston area together after Hurricane Hugo, giving me many hours of face time to learn more personal history of this gentleman. Glenn was truly an Ambassador of Rotary where ever he went and to whom he encountered. He personified the motto of “Service Above Self” in his daily life. I, too, am the proud owner of a limited unlimited edition and treasure both it and Glenn’s friendship immensely. RIP my friend.

Wednesday, Sep 12 @ 3:08 pm
  • The cabana family

Amazing person! He will be greatly missed.
    Our condolences.