Dare Schools to host ‘school safety forum’ this month

By on January 13, 2020

Dare County Schools Superintendent John Farrelly

In the wake of social media threats that locked down and closed the three First Flight schools last month, Dare County Schools Superintendent John Farrelly has announced that there will be a “School Safety Forum” open to the Dare schools community on Jan. 28 from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at the First Flight High School Auditorium.

In a Jan. 14 email to parents and staff, Farrelly said that, “The forum will include a presentation by the Superintendent, a stakeholder panel and a question/answer session. The stakeholder panel will include Board of Education Chairman Ms. Bea Basnight and local law enforcement officials.

The question and answer portion of the agenda will be driven by the information gathered from a school safety survey that I will ask all parents and staff to take. The survey is brief but pivotal in analyzing our continuous improvement efforts in Dare County Schools. The three (3) questions you will be asked are:

1. What does Dare County Schools do well in regard to school safety for students and staff?

2. What can Dare County Schools do to improve student and staff safety?

3. What questions do you have regarding school safety?

You can find the survey by clicking here.” 

The letter added that, “Dare County Schools will also live stream the event in the media centers at both Manteo High School and Cape Hatteras Secondary School. In addition, it will provide an FAQ based on forum content to all stakeholders following the event.”

On Dec. 16, a social media threat raising the possibility of a shooting at First Flight High School led to a brief lockdown of the First Flight High, First Flight Middle and First Flight Elementary schools.

Two days later, on Dec. 18, all three First Flight Schools were closed for the day after another social media threat, this one a bomb scare, that led to a police search of the school properties.

The Dare County Sheriff’s office has said that it is pursuing charges against the student charged with posting the social media threat that led to the lockdown on Dec. 16. But it is still looking for the person responsible for the threat that closed the schools on Dec. 18.

 

 


Recent posts in this category

Recent posts in this category

Join the discussion