Non-resident property owners barred from Currituck OBX

By on March 20, 2020

(Currituck County)

Currituck County has amended its State of Emergency to increase restrictions regarding access to the Currituck County section of the Outer Banks. Effective at 10:00 p.m. tonight, March 20, access to the Currituck Outer Banks is denied to visitors AND non-resident property owners. At this time, there is no evacuation order for any visitors or non-resident property owners who may already be present in the Currituck Outer Banks.

The restrictions fall upon any attempting to gain access as of 10:00 p.m. tonight. Permanent residents of Currituck County will be able to enter Dare County to conduct business, work, and attend medical appointments. To gain access, Currituck County residents must have an ID that shows a Currituck County address. The law enforcement checkpoint will continue to operate at the Wright Memorial Bridge, on the Dare County side. There will be no restrictions on motorists coming from Dare County north into Currituck County.

PUBLIC NOTICE

ADVERTISEMENT FOR RE-BID: Barnhill Contracting Company will receive sealed proposals for the Kill Devil Hills – EMS/Fire Facility (EMS-1) project on Wednesday, February 08, 2023 @ 2:00pm for the following packages:

BP 400 – Turnkey Masonry, BP 505 – Light Gauge Metal Trusses, BP 833 – Overhead Doors, BP 925 – Drywall/Framing, BP 2200 – Plumbing, BP 2300 – HVAC, BP 2600 – Electrical

Scopes of work may be added and/or deleted at the discretion of the Construction Manager.

Bid Location and Time: Bid opening will be held in the Barnhill Contracting Rocky Mount Main Conference Room: 800 Tiffany Bvld, Rocky Mount, NC 27804. Time is as follows: Wednesday, February 08, 2023 at 2:00pm.

Barnhill Contracting Company will receive, open, and read publicly all bids received in person in the training room and listed with the virtual viewing at the link to be posted on Barnhill’s Plan Room.

Bids will not be accepted from bidders that are not pre-qualified. No facsimile or email submissions are permitted. Sealed bids are to be hand delivered to the bid opening location noted above or mailed Sealed Bids can be delivered before 9:00am the day of the bid to the Barnhill Contracting Company Office at 800 Tiffany Blvd., Suite 200 Rocky Mount, NC 27804. Attention “Clint Hardison.”

Bid Documents can be viewed or downloaded through Barnhill’s online Building Division Plan Room (https://app.buildingconnected.com/public/54da832ce3edb5050017438b).

All Bidders are strongly encouraged to include opportunities for HUB participation wherever possible in their respective Bid submission.  HUB participation is a part of this contract and must comply with all requirements set forth in the Bid Documents.

The Construction Manager and Owner reserve the right to add pre-qualified bidders. The Construction Manager and Owner reserve the right to reject any and all bids. Should you require additional direction, please call Barnhill Contracting Company, (Clint Hardison – 252-802-0740).

Clint Hardison is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Dare County – Kill Devil Hills EMS #01 / FS #14 – 2 PM Re-Bid Opening

Time: Feb 8, 2023 02:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 874 0991 8806

One tap mobile

+16465189805,,87409918806# US (New York)

+17866351003,,87409918806# US (Miami)

Dial by your location

+1 646 518 9805 US (New York)

+1 786 635 1003 US (Miami)

+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

+1 470 250 9358 US (Atlanta)

+1 213 338 8477 US (Los Angeles)

+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

Meeting ID: 874 0991 8806

Find your local number: https://barnhillcontracting.zoom.us/u/kdFYJh0K85

Join by SIP

87409918806@zoomcrc.com

Join by H.323

162.255.37.11 (US West)

162.255.36.11 (US East)

Meeting ID: 874 0991 8806

Comments

• Harry

Best of luck OBX getting people to buy homes, visit, and spend money there in the future – because you just pissed off a very large population of tax paying home owners who you call non-residents. I bought a house in OBX to use it – and as a property owner I can’t get to it. I think it’s only fair that I should not pay property taxes for the time you will not allow me to access my home. Non- Residents – unite and let’s find a lawyer to file a class action lawsuit against Dare county.

Saturday, Mar 21 @ 12:32 am
  • Steve

So if our hospital gets overcrowded and needs to send patients outside the island, should our neighboring counties similarly reject them? With this kind of self serving and isolationism being demonstrated by dare and currituck, i’d consider it if i were a nearby county.

Saturday, Mar 21 @ 3:38 am
  • Chris Smith

I think Dare County should do the same as Currituck County

Saturday, Mar 21 @ 9:29 am
  • Zack Bass

This is way more important than upset property owners and their rental properties. Stop being selfish. No, you can’t come here.

Saturday, Mar 21 @ 10:49 am
  • Johnny

I don’t think old Harry understands if he had 0 cases in his PA hometown and we all wanted to come there to quarantine and buy up all his supplies he would feel different.
    Sell your house and take your ass to myrtle we don’t need your tax money here

Saturday, Mar 21 @ 10:59 am
  • Hank Williams

In response to Harry. So what you own property here. You are probably from a heavily populated area up north that has more cases and spreading. Your comments about class action lawsuits are rediculous. These times are unprecedented. Deal with it for awhile. Yes an unknown while for the time being. We as locals and the government of Dare county would prefer not to have thousands of renters and hundreds of homeowners down who are not prepared. People need to stay where they are and not travel long distances. This is an epidemic and requires distancing and containment. It’s the last thing folks want to do but it’s really necessary. You’ll get down later. How would you like thousands of visitors entering your hometown many possibly infected and changing the populations each week. Grocery stores having supply issues and only 1 small hospital. You need to get a grip on reality. Its folks like you that are unprepared, unpleasant and pain in the rear. You’re the kind that’s the 1st to start crying in hard times. Hunker down and stay where you are. This too may pass.

Saturday, Mar 21 @ 12:15 pm
  • megan

As a tax paying non-resident homeowner I am furious. I can’t get to the home I own and pay taxes on. Painful lesson learned on what OBX really thinks of those that spend their money and invest in the OBX.

Saturday, Mar 21 @ 12:52 pm
  • Joe

I hope everybody on the obx remembers that it is the non-resident owners that pay for their existence.

Saturday, Mar 21 @ 3:48 pm
  • ww

Its sad to see non residents for the most part in this discussion react as spoiled children. The people of the OBX have welcomed , befriended and been excellent stewards of our land. Now we are trying to simply preserve our way of life and hopefully bring down the odds of the epidemic here. These times are not for self centered thoughts. Take care of your primary residence and we will take care of the Outer Banks so that people like you can come back and enjoy in the future.

Saturday, Mar 21 @ 3:51 pm
  • George

I guess this is southern hospitality at it’s best. Your lack of humanity is very disappointing. I have been wintering in the Outer Banks for the last few years and bought a rental home here 5 years ago. My other home in Florida is rented through April when I would normally return south. I do my rental home repairs during the winter and have hired many local businesses to improve my property in the off season. Your short sighted leaders aren’t doing you “residents” any good by biting the hand that feeds you. Think about it…

Saturday, Mar 21 @ 4:20 pm
  • jack

For a long time, I have deluded myself that residents appreciated the business we brought in, and the taxes we paid to attempt to educate their snotty nosed kids. The comments from those residents show that I was wrong. From now on, I will bring everything I need across the bridge, will not patronize their businesses and will hire all work done using workers from the mainland.

Saturday, Mar 21 @ 5:38 pm
  • Timothy Stephens

My fiance and I agree with Harry – we purchased a property, for a high amount, a few years ago and had long-term plans to go soon for necessary reasons. It’s a ludicrous phrase – “resident property owner visitors.” Resident property owners are not “visitors” – we have a right to go to the house we own and pay taxes on. We request property tax reimbursement for the time period we are banned from the house we own. We spend a lot of money in the community while we are there also. Way more people have the flu and have had other serious illnesses over the year and no banning of persons from houses they own has occurred.

NC is a very large state – to be in a panic over a total of about 137 cases is bizarre. Many businesses may go bankrupt over these decisions. Sure, some precautions can and should be in place – better cleaning, etc., but this step is not acceptable. We want to know when we can go stay in the house we own, for necessary reasons.

Saturday, Mar 21 @ 5:40 pm
  • Lynn Ron

You are right, Megan, I feel the same. It is people like us who buy vacation homes in the beach area, none of which are cheap, and stimulate the economy while there WHILE PAYING TAXES at the same time and keeping our properties in top condition. We do not rent out the home we purchased – it is (or was) to be our retirement home. If we were sick, we would not be traveling – common sense should prevail – sick people are not traveling and sick people likely are using their common sense. Perhaps the homeowners who are being called “visitors” should all sell – then there will be a glutton of homes for sale and depreciated values for those homeowners who call us “selfish.” Let’s see how long the high prices for houses and food, etc. will continue without people like us, as well as the local businesses that keep Dare County higher than the norm in NC where there are many depressed areas with lots of welfare areas. There are maintenance items and other required responsibilities that homeowners have. Homeowners being called “visitors” is clearly incorrect understanding of plain English.

By the way, for those calling us “selfish,” I hope you don’t have any longstanding plans to visit any properties you own in another state – if you are told you are considered a “visitor” and are barred.

Saturday, Mar 21 @ 6:00 pm
  • george

“Southern Hospitality” at it’s finest. Your lack of humanity is disappointing. NC sucks!

Saturday, Mar 21 @ 6:02 pm
  • Dano

Non residence need to get with the program. We are in a national emergency with lives at risk. The comments from the non residents are very selfish. I had a home in the D.C. area when I first moved here, guess what, I moved my residence to here and registered to vote. Our local government did the right thing and I will continue to support them. So if your second home is here, move your residency. If you home is a rental home, guess what, your just another landlord. The outer banks is a wonderful place, I’ve seen rental home owners come and go but the renters keep coming. Do your part as an american, stay close to home and don’t travel for all our safety.

Saturday, Mar 21 @ 6:28 pm
  • sad

I respectfully request that Outer Banks Voice restrict comments on their articles for the time being or until these matters are resolved. I am in the camp of nonresident property owners who are extremely saddened to know how many of the permanent residents feel about the non-resident property owners. It is very ugly and disheartening. The opinons are fine, and I understand being scared. However, the nastiness is nastier than anything I see in the NY town where I live. After going to the OBX to my non-resident home for nearly 20 years, to be made to feel so unwelcome, is hard and the feeling wont go away when this virus is long gone. The comments are not news. Cut them off.

Saturday, Mar 21 @ 6:31 pm
  • Mark Jurkowitz | Outer Banks Voice

Sad, with passions enflamed, some of the comments on this site are unduly nasty, but I do prohibit ones that I think cross a line. However uncomfortable they may make some of us. I think it is more important to let people have their say and speak their mind than censor comments until everyone has cooled down.

Saturday, Mar 21 @ 8:21 pm
  • Ernie

Apparently the locals dont understand which side their bread is buttered on. As for myself i will not be shopping local anymore. Pack it in and pack it out.

Saturday, Mar 21 @ 6:39 pm
  • Bryan

The right to life , liberty , property, and the pursuit of happiness are the reason the last 200 years have been the American centuries . This is why I spent 11 years on active duty for my country in the navy. Acts of cruelty are motivated by fear. Violation of these principles accounts for some of the worst crimes against humanity. All that is required for evil is for good men to do nothing – shame on you good men and women of Dare county

Saturday, Mar 21 @ 7:22 pm
  • John Smirh

Oh pleez masta, pleez!!! We forget if it wasn’t for you home owners we wouldn’t have any place to live or work!!! Pleez continue to pay your taxes, visit us and act like you’re above us!! My only hope is you’ll recognize me as your bartender/waiter/cashier/cab driver/emt/police officer/delivery driver/year around neighbor/ext…. as we lay side by side in the parking lot of Fresh Market in makeshift hospital beds because the few beds we currently have at OBX hospital are occupied by non resident home owners like you!!!
    This isn’t about you, it’s about the health of the community that serves you!! Stay home where you have more hospitals and ICU beds and let us poor folks fight over the 28 beds we have down here!!

Sunday, Mar 22 @ 12:48 am
  • manteobxr

Judging by the number of non NC license tags present on the outer banks, apparently, most of the comments posted here, are the ones that waited too long, and missed the bus. The world simply does not revolve around you, and yes, we clothed and fed ourselves quite well before you and your mcmansions arrived. You undoubtedly will be allowed to return when it is safer, for all, to do so. I am a resident, business owner, and native of Dare county, and it’s no picnic here right now.

Sunday, Mar 22 @ 7:45 am