First COVID-19 case confirmed in Currituck County

By on March 30, 2020

(Currituck County)

On Sunday March 29, Currituck County was informed of its first confirmed case of COVID-19. Here is the release.

Albemarle Regional Health Services Health Director R. Battle Betts, Jr., MPA, has received notification of the first lab confirmed case of COVID-19 in Currituck County. The individual is in isolation. ARHS is following North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services guidelines on contact tracing of all individuals who may have had close contact with the case. Please be vigilant in practicing preventive and safety measures that will help prevent the spread of the virus.

Recent posts in this category

Recent posts in this category

Comments

• CorollaCat

Can we know mainland or beach side please? I think that would nice to know

Monday, Mar 30 @ 9:15 am
  • Overly Paranoid OBX person

Oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no… lock down the bridges, keep everyone out, don’t let those dirty dirty people in!

Monday, Mar 30 @ 10:00 am
  • sandflea

I wonder if they got it from someone who shouldn’t be down here in the first place. I’m seeing out of town plates all over. Was talking to a grocery cashier yest and she said some people just ahead of me had just gotten down here from out of state. I asked her how she knew and she told me that they were more or less bragging about it. Couple of things:
    1. Is the county telling us one thing and then telling the Sheriff’s another as to letting people down here?
    2. You have 30 days to get a NC plate upon moving here. There should be no out of state plates here. People from Virginia do not come down here to work; NC residents go up there.

Whats going on? This is serious. People from out of state need to stay out!

Monday, Mar 30 @ 10:11 am
  • Sybil Ross

One hospital with 30 something beds and about 4 ventilators for 36,00- permanent residents, If these people come here and get sick we cannot take care of them! Period!

Monday, Mar 30 @ 4:57 pm
  • Be Nice

@sandflea…….. Don’t just assume no one comes there for work….. I lived in Currituck moved to Perquimans then have moved to Chesapeake all while holding the same job that I got when I was living in Currituck….. I drive from Chesapeake to OBX 5 days a week for work.

Cant help that their is a virus going on all I can do is keep doing what I’m doing and be careful as I’m an essential employee on OBX and I have a family if my own to take care of

Monday, Mar 30 @ 5:43 pm
  • Eve

Sandflea

There are people here from out of state that are visitors who arrived prior to the ban. There is absolutely no mandate for those individuals to leave Dare or Currituck because the restrictions only applied to new visitors and non resident home owners. While I’m sure there are some bad apples trickling in against the restrictions, there are a number of people who chose to stick around and not head back to the potential danger zones they came from. What would you do if you had a family and were in their shoes?

Tuesday, Mar 31 @ 1:55 am
  • Eve

Sandflea

It’s wrong to make assumptions on all out of towners that are here. A number of them were here as visitors before the travel ban went into place. The restrictions only targeted future visitors and a few days later was amended to prevent non resident homeowners from getting over the bridge. Visitors who were already here are not breaking any rules and if anything, have been quarantining and are less of a threat to OBX residents than those who acually go back and forth over the bridge every day and can contract the virus more easily.

Of course there are visitors and NRHOs that are clearly breaking the rules, but it’s just wrong to assume that any out of state license plate is in violation of the rules. Southern hospitality at its best.

Tuesday, Mar 31 @ 2:06 am
  • Ray

I’m local , 35+ years as a North Carolinian .
    The precedent of keeping people from there legally owned property is unAmerican and wrong , Where it your property or mine , you would be livid if the govt attempted to keep you from your property ! Where does it end ? If they lock up your car ( your property) to “ protect you and your community “ is that ok ? If they take your guns “for you and your communities safety” is that acceptable ?
    It’s fine to Quarantine non local property owners for 2 weeks if they want to use what THEY OWN !
    This was and is an attack on American and our economy/constitution and way of life !
    The Coronavirus isn’t half as dangerous as giving govt’s the ability to force its people’s to do things against there will .
    You are NOT “local as it gets “ unless you’re a descendant of the Croatan Indians !

Tuesday, Mar 31 @ 8:10 am
  • Kenneth Fucci

Are Police checking every I.D. in a car they are checking into the county? or are people able to hitch a ride with someone between Grandy and the Bridge to Southern Shore/Kitty Hawk? Just seems there is a heck-of-a-lot of people who I’ve never seen before on the beach and walking all along the Beach Rd. Things are tough enough on people who really live here and people who want to get away from where they live. Yes, i know the Police have a thankless job and have very hard job to do but locals are doing their part and it just seems that we should be treated on an equal basis.

Tuesday, Mar 31 @ 8:41 am
  • Mark A

All property owners should be allowed to go to the property and home they own. The county should require anyone from out of state to be quarantined for 14 days. They should not discriminate against a property owner because of where they live. That is unconstitutional. Why do you think the state of Rhode Island had to change their Executive Order to say ALL people from out of state have to be quarantined. Sadly the virus is coming to Dare County whether you continue to act in a discriminatory way or not. In the end we all end up paying more taxes because of the inappropriate use of sheriff deputies at the bridges. What a waste of precious resources. You should all be ashamed.

Tuesday, Mar 31 @ 8:56 pm
  • sandflea

@ Be Nice. Ok, you’re one. I know there’s always the exception or two. You do not represent the vast majority of the 35,000 full time residents here

To the others: Yes, I know some of you were already here. Its the people flooding down here running the checkpoint that upsets me. Its those people who are bring the virus down here. They were told to stay put. I guess rules are for everybody but them. I see this a lot even when there isn’t a pandemic.

Wednesday, Apr 1 @ 8:21 am
  • Dawn

Really? Get OVER IT!!! It isn’t unconstitutional to keep you temporarily from your property. No one is seizing your land. You don’t live here you own property and its isn’t in danger of the Corona Virus unless you insist in breaking the temporary rules in place to protect everyone in this country. It’s not like we don’t want you back eventually, we do, but not now. If everyone would follow what is being asked of them for a short period then we might all get back to some sort of normalcy but it’s those who love to push the boundaries and do whatever they can to get what they want with disregard to your neighbors.

Friday, Apr 3 @ 12:11 pm