A tribute to our senior high school softball athletes
By Outer Banks Voice on August 10, 2020
Among the many things disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic were the 2019-2020 senior year seasons of many of our local high school athletes. Now, as we wait for the start of the 2020-2021 scholastic athletic season — which has currently been delayed — the Voice wanted to pay tribute those senior athletes who graced our playing fields.
We begin this tribute with the area’s graduating senior softball players. Next up are the graduating senior baseball players.
Cape Hatteras Secondary School
- Sophie Waterfield Played 4 years; also played basketball and track; will attend Appalachia State for Spanish Education.
Currituck County High School
- Marcey Carroll Four-Year Letterman will attend Tidewater Community College in the fall
- Layla Cartwright Four-Year Letterman will attend Liberty University in the fall for Athletic Training
- Shelley Mixon Four-Year Letterman will attend Campbell University in the fall for Forensics Accounting
- Destiny Moyers Two-Year Letterman will attend College of the Albemarle in the fall for Business Administration
- Ta’Nia Seymore One-Year Letterman will attend College of the Albemarle in the fall for Associate Nursing
- Briana Snow Two-Year Letterman will attend Western Carolina in the fall for Athletic Training
First Flight High School
- Logan Jeffrey Starting Catcher 4 years; lettered all 4 years; will be attending Chowan University to play softball and has been accepted into the Honors School where she will study Criminal Justice
- Riley Bateman Played 2nd base; lettered all 4 years; will be attending COA for two years with a future in Real estate.
- Sophia Cooper Left field; played 4 years; will be attending UNC Chapel Hill with a major in Political Science and a minor in Spanish.
- Finley Langley Right Field; played 4 years; will be attending Pitt Community for Nursing
Manteo High School
- Maiya Ribeiro Was a four-year member of the volleyball, basketball, and softball teams. Plans to attend East Carolina University and major in Kinesiology.
- Brianna Landazuri Has been a member of the basketball, soccer, and softball teams. Plans to attend Lenoir Rhyne University and study pre-med, and minor in Spanish and Psychology. Wants to eventually go into pediatric medicine.
- Jordan Allen Lettered in softball four years. She’s looking forward to her next chapter but sad that she couldn’t complete her senior softball season.