Water, water everywhere

By on September 21, 2020

previous arrow
next arrow
Slider

These scenes from Hatteras Island today depict the water overrunning the area. The Cape Hatteras National Seashore reports that most beach areas remain inaccessible, driving on the beach is not recommended, wet sand is making walking on the beach difficult and life-threatening rip currents along beaches.

Comments

• Zack Bass

I’ve never understood why some people are hell-bent on getting to Hatteras during these events. Even with the road clear of sand they still have to drive through salt water. There’s a lot more things to do north of the bridge, so they are better off staying put here.

Monday, Sep 21 @ 5:36 pm
  • Morey

Maybe people like the area just south of the bridge Zack! Who are you to judge what people like?!

Tuesday, Sep 22 @ 10:45 am
  • Jen

We go to the island for peace and quiet. We stay at a nice house and just do family things. Its sunsets and sunrises. Watching for dolphin pods. There is the constant sound of waves that makes home sound so quiet. There are times when the wind picks up at home and it sounds like Hatteras and I just need to go back. I don’t go if it would be a burden to locals though but if its just the tide and timing?

Tuesday, Sep 22 @ 2:10 pm
  • Susan Schultz

My husband and I are anxious to get there because our family is there at a resort beach house. We are all here from Ohio. We stopped at his mom’s in Va for a few days and planned to go to the OBX on Monday. We are happy to spend an extra few days with her. Just hoping the roads are open tomorrow by 2pm so we can join the rest of the family. Thank you for all the hard work the transportation department is doing to clear the roads.

Tuesday, Sep 22 @ 3:04 pm
  • Barbara Padgett

I agree with you. Go north to Duck and Corolla. Great restaurants. Visit Cravings in Duck and eat outside.

Tuesday, Sep 22 @ 4:22 pm
  • Felicia Lopez

I need to get to the Norfolk Airport. Already stranded 2 days past my original date to fly home! When will road open north if Salvo?

Wednesday, Sep 23 @ 11:41 am
  • William

Just got a chance to visit our usual campground on Hatteras Island and now this. We have relatives in that area and I hear It’s been rough for businesses because of the virus. I hope these businesses can make it through these hard times. It’s hard enough already to find a restaurant open after Labor day.

Wednesday, Sep 23 @ 7:45 pm