Target to move into KDH Kmart site

By on October 12, 2020

Update: The Voice has received this email from a Target spokesperson confirming the company’s plans for an 80,000 sq. foot store..

“I can confirm Target has plans to open a store in Kill Devil Hills. We’re excited to bring an easy, safe and convenient shopping experience to new guests in the community with this new Target store. Located at 1091 N. Croatan Hwy, the store will be approximately 80,000 square feet. As we get closer to opening the store, we’ll have more specific details to share – including how the shopping experience will be tailored to serve local guests and the grand opening date.”

Shane Collins from the OBX Island Guys Real Estate group, has confirmed this news about the Kmart site, which was posted on Island Guys Facebook page today. Here is the post.

Breaking News….It’s been hard keeping lips sealed, but it’s now public news as contracts are signed…TARGET is officially coming to the Outer Banks at the former Kmart Site. It will be torn down and redesigned. While the Outer Banks continues to change, I feel like this will be a welcome storefront and another jobs boost to our community. Development along our shores is always a Catch 22 and a tough pill to swallow for folks like me that have spent their entire lives here. Ultimately, it’s not the 70’s and 80’s anymore, and if it increases our community rating, helps with jobs and infrastructure, and keeps us from driving to VA I am all for it.

Comments

• Bubba Mack

And here I was hoping for a really super Super Wings.

Monday, Oct 12 @ 3:04 pm
  • Lee

Great news!! Congratulations and thanks to the folks who put the deal together.

Monday, Oct 12 @ 4:22 pm
  • Kim

I am super excited! Target is exactly what OBX needs.

Tuesday, Oct 13 @ 7:41 am
  • anotherobxman

I was happy to see an unnecessary big box retail store go away and it is immediately replaced with another big box retail store. Sigh.

Tuesday, Oct 13 @ 8:00 am
  • Travis

Target got the address wrong in their email. The 1000 block is where Lowes is, more or less. Or maybe they got the address right and there is about to be an epic battle for control of the territory. Lowes employees armed with sling blades and riding power mowers into battle. Target employees armed with kitchen utensils and hopped up on Starbucks Venti Double Shots On Ice (assuming the Starbucks/Target alliance holds).
    The movie theater might actually sell some popcorn for this one…

Tuesday, Oct 13 @ 10:11 am
  • Mark Jurkowitz | Outer Banks Voice

Travis, you gotta take those skills to Hollywood.

Tuesday, Oct 13 @ 10:23 am
  • Susie

Just continuously sucking the charm right out of this place. Super excited?? Great news!!?

REALLY??

It’s just sad that so many people view a cheap shopping experience as “exactly what the OBX needs”. The big box is a scourge on the OBX. Charm be damned, lets go shopping.

Tuesday, Oct 13 @ 10:32 am
  • Judi

Would be nice to remodel and not tear down.

Tuesday, Oct 13 @ 8:20 pm
  • KIM

I was envisioning an arcade and an amusement park like the one that used to be on the Outer Banks. Dowdy’s Amusement Park was a must every summer and we all loved it every time we went there. Loved all the arcade games and the rides, especially the Spider and the Scrambler !!! Too bad the Outer Banks does not have an Amusement Park and Arcade anymore.

Wednesday, Oct 14 @ 12:20 am
  • KHer

Judi, I agree.

The article above mentions it will be 80,000 sq ft. How does that compare to the existing building? Do they really need to demo and completely rebuild? I smell a rat. I think one scenario is after they tear down the building Target corporate says: “We changed our mind, now we’ve decided to build 10 mini-hotels!”

Wednesday, Oct 14 @ 11:19 am
  • Brandon E Ham

For all those against this…it was already a big box for the last 30 yrs..now its going to a BETTER store! and with OBX needing jobs, expecially now..its the best thing that could come to this site. I was just hoping they could use the perfectly good building that is there now. Its time Outer Banks gets with the times like other places in NC.

Wednesday, Oct 14 @ 11:38 am
  • surf123

Anyone who thinks this is good was not here when there were not any big box stores. Ignorance is bliss when you are a Johnny-come-lately addicted to shopping. I never thought I would say I would have rather have seen a block of party homes on that site.

Wednesday, Oct 14 @ 6:00 pm
  • Frank Moore

The article noted that it is no longer the 70’s or 80’s. For all those who long for what those years were like probably know about what we had here either read about it, have seen pictures or had parents who took them to those activities. I agree that it is a shame that we no longer have the “feel” of the Outer Banks and at my age of 75 miss all of the quaintness that was offered. Back then there was not all that is available to everyone now, many call this progress, I call it life ! If we didn’t demand progress we would still have Arcades, mom & pop stores, etc. I just wonder how many people who long for the mom & pop stores and the other few establishments that still exist from that era “routinely” shop at these stores for daily goods and services ? I want to point out just one example of what “progress” has provided for ALL of us in our daily lives. Was it not for “progress” to let our thoughts be known to others, we first would have read about an issue in a newspaper, we then would write with pencil/pen on paper our views then go to the Post Office to buy a stamp and then drop our letter in the outgoing mail slot. That is all that we could do. If the newspaper editor felt that our view was worth taking up valuable space in an upcoming issue, it would be printed and the subscribers of that newspaper would red your view on the issue. If anyone who read your thoughts would either discard the newspaper after reading it or if they wanted to comment on your submission they would then do exactly what you had done several days, most likely weeks, ago. That is my one example of progress. I agree with all who wish that we still had Arcades and mom & pop stores everywhere but we don’t. I will now find my flip phone, yes flip phone, and call my adult children in Virginia to find out what they and my grandchildren are planning to do today already knowing that they will not be going to an Arcade.

Saturday, Oct 17 @ 7:23 am
  • Lemonshirt

The “good old days” are always a bit more rosy when viewed in hindsight.
    Kind of like $0.29 gasoline. …..when in reality your car got 8mpg and you made $1.40/hr.

Monday, Oct 19 @ 3:18 pm
  • Bob Segal

It’s too bad the local planners and their consultants can’t come up with something more fitting than another big 80,000 sf box w/parking lot. The bypass is nothing much more than boxes and strip malls. Thankfully the NPS preserved the Wright Brothers site and the State preserved the dunes at Jockey’s Ridge.

Tuesday, Oct 20 @ 11:47 am