Dare reports record high 37 COVID cases today

By on December 2, 2020

On a day when the statewide COVID numbers were also very concerning, the Dare County Department of Health and Human Services reported 37 new cases of COVID-19, a number that shatters the previous single-day record of 24 new cases. Twenty-eight of the newest cases reported on Dec. 2 involve Dare County residents while 9 involve non-residents. One of the residents, a male at least 65 years old, is hospitalized with the virus.

The report of 37 new cases follows two days of cases in the single digits, and while the case numbers can vary substantially from day to day, there is little doubt that the county, and the state, are in the midst of a major surge in COVID infections. As of the end of November, the county reported that fully one-third of all COVID cases reported here since the outset of the pandemic had occurred that month. With today’s jump in new cases, there have now been 1,104 total cases reported by Dare County since March.

In more heartening news, the county also reported that 18 residents previously classified as having active cases are now listed as recovered. There are currently 87 active cases in the county.

PUBLIC NOTICE

On 5/27/2010 Edge Spectrum, Inc was granted a license by the FCC to serve the public interest in BUXTON, NC as a public trustee of WHOB-LD until 12/1/2020 when it expires. WHOB-LD Channel 50 filed an FCC renewal application for our 2.5 kW station transmitting from BUXTON, NC and serving the BUXTON area on 8/3/2020. Individuals who wish to advise the FCC of facts relating to our renewal application and to whether this station has operated in the public interest should file comments and petitions with the FCC. Information about the FCC broadcast license renewal process is available from the FCC, Washington, DC 20554.

Comments

• Chris Smith

I just don’t understand what’s going on with you people. Here I am a person with pre existing conditions. I go to work every day haven’t missed 1day since the whole thing started last year. Wash my hands, wear a mask,and keep my distance. And I’m here to tell you that I’m more scared now than when it first came out. Were so close to a vaccine people need to chill. Have a little respect for others chill out till the vaccine starts lowering numbers. Not trying to be rude but please start using some common sense.

Wednesday, Dec 2 @ 9:10 pm
  • Sandflea

But, but, but I thought it was going away November 4th.
    Wear a mask, stay home if you don’t have to go anywhere, and please be respectful of others. This is no joke folks.

Thursday, Dec 3 @ 7:05 am
  • glarry

Thanks to the authorities for a lucrative summer, local biz says. Too bad you or your family may not live to spend it.

Thursday, Dec 3 @ 7:49 am
  • voidless1

Come one come all….. we have it all here, w/ the exception of a lot of ICU beds.

Thursday, Dec 3 @ 8:33 am
  • Chris Smith

I’d really like to know what happened to my comment I put on here last night. Don’t start censoring!!!!!!!!!! There was nothing wrong with it.

Thursday, Dec 3 @ 10:14 am
  • Mark Jurkowitz | Outer Banks Voice

Chris, your comment was fine. I just posted it.

Thursday, Dec 3 @ 11:33 am
  • Kristy

I have seen 2 post recently regarding censoring. One saying, she didn’t know the “Voice” censored and this one saying “don’t start censoring!” FYI, I have been censored a number of times since covid started. Don’t be surprised, the “Voice” does censor.

Thursday, Dec 3 @ 2:48 pm
  • Mark Jurkowitz | Outer Banks Voice

Kristy, you are right. I do moderate comments and as I’ve posted before, here are some of the reasons why comments are disallowed (below). There is an addition to the list. With 200,000 new cases a day and between 2,000 and 3,000 Americans dying every day because of COVID, we do not publish “COVID denialism” comments that argue the pandemic is some grossly exaggerated hoax.

The comment section on a website is not a Facebook page where comments and insults can often fly fast and furious. It should be the equivalent of a letters to the editor section of a newspaper. Hopefully, the comments are well thought out and add interesting perspective to whatever issue is being discussed. They should also bring value to the other readers of the news site.

Here are the reasons why I may choose not to post a comment a) inappropriate language b) personal attacks c) unsubstantiated charges or allegations d) No clear or coherent point e) excessive grammatical or spelling errors f) numerous comments by the same individual in a short period of time g) A toss off comments that feels like it took the writer 10 seconds to compose and h) comments that complain about comments not being posted i) any use of the word Nazi or other words associated with Germany’s Third Reich.

Thursday, Dec 3 @ 3:45 pm
  • Kristy

Mark, you claim you censor personal attacks and unsubstantiated charges and allegations, ect but you let several bash, Mr Harvey Hess, for having an opinion that some disagreed with. One post, went as far as accusing Mr Hess of vandalizing his own business. Just wondering, was that charge substantiated? Personally, I do not do face book but that thread was disgraceful. Yes some post were well thought out but others were pure trash.

Thursday, Dec 3 @ 4:49 pm
  • Mark Jurkowitz | Outer Banks Voice

There was a lot of passion pro and con Mr. Hess. If we allowed anything below the belt, we’ll try to do better.

Thursday, Dec 3 @ 8:16 pm
  • Tucker Foster

I hope some of the real estate folks saw my comment on donations to local charities. No doubt in my mind, the influx of so many tourists this year has contributed to what is now community spread of this horrible plague. Even individual real estate agents( who have sold a lot t of homes), can make donations to local charities. Please remember the less fortunate this year. T tops also runs a toy drive ! Spca needs money for the new shelter in Manteo. Tis the season to give !

Thursday, Dec 3 @ 6:49 pm
  • hightider

The prime mover of the virus is the selfishness of certain people – the selfishness that asserts an individual’s right to a vacation trumps the safety of others; the selfishness that demands the right to crowd into bars and restaurants (neither of which is necessary to health and happiness), and the constant whining over the “violation of civil liberties” by having to wear a mask. The virus has revealed our true natures – some are heroic and continue to risk their lives on the front lines; others are still whining over missing out on silly activities.

Thursday, Dec 3 @ 11:00 pm