Southern Shores seeks info on slaying of deer

By on January 5, 2021

(Town of Southern Shores)

The town of Southern Shores is asking for the public’s help in locating someone who killed a deer with an arrow early Saturday morning in violation of town law. Here’s the release.

“At approximately 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, January 2, a deer was found dead as a result of being shot with an arrow. The deer was found in the area near the Turtle Pond between 61 Ocean Blvd and 62 Spindrift Trail.

The Southern Shores Town Code Section 22-5 prohibits the shooting or discharging of arrows and makes it unlawful for any person to shoot or discharge, by bow or otherwise, any arrow or similar projectile of deadly force within the town’s corporate limits. The offense is classified as a Class 3 Misdemeanor.

This action, while not only illegal, is extremely dangerous in a residential community, especially in common areas where people recreate. It is not safe, and it is unacceptable.

Anyone with information concerning this incident is asked to contact the Southern Shores Police Department at (252)-261-3331.”

PUBLIC NOTICE

On 5/27/2010 Edge Spectrum, Inc was granted a license by the FCC to serve the public interest in BUXTON, NC as a public trustee of WHOB-LD until 12/1/2020 when it expires. WHOB-LD Channel 50 filed an FCC renewal application for our 2.5 kW station transmitting from BUXTON, NC and serving the BUXTON area on 8/3/2020. Individuals who wish to advise the FCC of facts relating to our renewal application and to whether this station has operated in the public interest should file comments and petitions with the FCC. Information about the FCC broadcast license renewal process is available from the FCC, Washington, DC 20554.

Comments

• Lou Briccant

Which one of the regulars will be the first to blame a tourist? I know when I come down to vacation I always make sure to pack the deer hunting gear… (rolls eyes)…

Tuesday, Jan 5 @ 5:05 pm
  • Mae

Such a shame! I see them all the time on Duck Road on my way to work. Beautiful sight.

Tuesday, Jan 5 @ 7:11 pm
  • Meshell

Anyone who thinks to make this a resident tourist thing is crazy. What a shame. They were here first. So they like all nature are the true residents.

Tuesday, Jan 5 @ 9:08 pm
  • sandflea

Lou;
    I will!! So glad we get to live rent free in your head!

Wednesday, Jan 6 @ 8:34 am
  • CorollaCat

Nobody but you two, Lou and Meshell.

Ya know that thing I always say…..everybody calm down.

Wednesday, Jan 6 @ 9:30 am
  • Travis

I shot an arrow into the air,
    It fell to earth, I knew not…oh deer.

Wednesday, Jan 6 @ 9:43 am
  • Tri-Village

Such a waste of life. I was raised to never kill an animal unless you are going to eat it. Every living creature has a purpose on this earth. Its a shame. Though illegal that would have been a lot of meat that could have been donated to a food bank or a homeless shelter if found in time. On another note…is anyone else surprised that Lou commented . No idea why he has the compulsion to always comment on news that does not affect his local area (rolls eyes)

Wednesday, Jan 6 @ 10:06 am
  • Thomas

No responsible hunter would do something like this. My guess it would be a teenager with a new compound bow he just got for Christmas. Charging as a Class 3 misdemeanor is very liberal. I think the punishment for something like this should be 1-2 years in jail and a $10,000 fine at a minimum. The Southern Shores Police are very good. They will find the perpetrator of this illegal act.

Wednesday, Jan 6 @ 12:52 pm
  • Happily Retired

Lou, This incident happened not too far from my backyard. Most of the neighbors are old geezers like myself. Since it was a one time thing during the holidays when there was an uptick in visitors I’m inclined to think it was someone not from here. There are no teenagers that live around here. It could possibly be one of the tradesmen that frequent the neighborhood but that doesn’t seem likely. There was no mention of a bird found at the beach with an arrow as well. Please Lou share your theory.

Wednesday, Jan 6 @ 1:08 pm
  • Liz

Tri-Village is absolutely right. A responsible hunter does not waste meat, or the life of an animal. Period. It’s a sin to a responsible hunter. If this person was poaching, which of course is illegal, they would not have just left the animal. So was this animal killed by some idiot (putting it nicely!) for kicks and giggles? Sure seems as if this animal was killed for no reason.
    As far as Mr. Lou – is he the guy who has been intent on denigrating locals since the spring when NRPOs were told to stay away?

Wednesday, Jan 6 @ 2:33 pm
  • Lou Briccant

Sorry Flea and friends, you’re hardly living in my head rent free. You see I have a life and a job and far more important things to do that worry about the likes of you during the day. Basically everything wrong that happens around there you blame on someone from out of the area, just stating facts… us normals know you don’t like those.

Wednesday, Jan 6 @ 5:43 pm
  • Dethrol

@Liz I’ll fix something for you so that it’s accurate: “ …when NRPOs were told to stay away?” should read “…when taxpaying members of our community were illegally barred from access to their property?” You do realize that Dare County paid tens of thousands of dollars of our tax money attempting an ill-advised defense of their indefensible ban on NRPOs, only to cave, admit their error, and pay the costs for the litigation (with our aforementioned tax money). Just figured you would want to make sure that you attacked Lou on the merits of an argument rather than with a bogus talking point.

Wednesday, Jan 6 @ 8:32 pm
  • hightider

To Happily Retired – thanks for mentioning that a bird was also found on the beach with an arrow…two creatures makes it sound more like a cruel teen than an adult. Sad that two creatures suffered because someone was mean and sociopathic. Cruelty to animals should be punished severely.

Thursday, Jan 7 @ 6:17 am
  • Obxer

Please dont think that this is the first time someone has shot a deer with a bow in southern shores.

Thursday, Jan 7 @ 7:16 am
  • Another theory

It is possible that no one killed the deer in the town limits on Saturday morning but rather, shot the deer on Friday, the last day of hunting season. It is also possible that the hunter was unable to find the deer and where he was found on Saturday is only where the deer fled and not where he was shot. Wounded animals have been known to travel miles before succumbing to their injuries.

Thursday, Jan 7 @ 8:12 am
  • Thomas

“Another theory” could be right except for the fact that that when the homeowner found the deer on Saturday morning the deer still had its head on. By 1 PM that same day the deer had been decapitated. Whoever killed the deer came back to take the head after several hours.

Thursday, Jan 7 @ 3:54 pm
  • Liz

@Dethrol Goodness, I didn’t “attack” Lou and I don’t need you to fix anything! I asked a question about him. As far as the so-called bogus talking points? In a nutshell, NRPOs were told to stay away. That’s not bogus and that’s all I said. The ultimate outcome of the NRPO issue is not relevant here. The point I was making is that Lou is on here an awful lot making derogatory comments about locals. But thank you for educating me on how woefully ignorant you think I am on the NRPO situation. By the way, in case you missed the most important part of my comment – the deer is still dead.

Friday, Jan 8 @ 8:36 pm