Dare County Public Works 2021 Large Item Pick‐Up Schedule
By Submitted Story on January 20, 2021
The Dare County Sanitation Department will be conducting a large item pick‐up for residential customers only. NO COMMERCIAL BUSINESS DEBRIS WILL BE PICKED UP.
The Large Item Pick‐up Schedule is as Follows:
Tuesday, Jan. 26, 2021
Tuesday, Feb. 9, 2021
Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2021
Manteo (outside town limits)
Tuesday, March 2, 2021
Colington Harbour (inside the gated community of Colington Harbour)
Tuesday, March 16, 2021
Colington (houses located off Colington Road, not inside the gated community of Colington Harbour)
Tuesday, May 4, 2021
March 22, 2021
Large-item pickup for Hatteras Island is scheduled for the week of March 22, 2021. Please have all items that need to be collected placed at the curb no later than 8 a.m. on March 22, 2021. Dare County Public Works will be starting in Hatteras Village and then working their way north. Once the items have been removed from your house, please do not place more items out as there will not be a second pass. Large-item pickup is for residential customers only. No commercial business debris will be picked up.
Instructions & Restrictions:
- Materials must be at the curbside no later than 6 a.m. on the date of collection. There will not be a second day pick‐up.
- Please do not place items for the county large item pick‐up at the roadside until the day
before your pickup will be held. If the county does not take an item(s) you placed on the roadside, it has been rejected and must be disposed of at your expense.
- Take pride in your home and respect your neighbors. Do not leave trash at the roadside
expecting it to be picked up.
- Please do not interfere with county employees picking up large items.
- If large item pick‐up falls on your regular garbage collection day, please do not block the garbage container.
- Be mindful of overhead power lines and try to place items in such a way that county trucks will not be in danger of coming in contact with them.
On this special pick‐up, Dare County will collect the following recyclable items:
- Used auto tires
- Used motor oil (only in spill-proof containers)
- Auto radiators, scrap metals (rims, motor parts)
- Appliances, furniture, mattresses and box springs (please remove doors from refrigerators)
The following items will not be collected:
- Old clothes, shoes
- Cardboard, etc.
- Tree limbs, stumps, leaves, or any yard‐clearing debris
- Construction/demolition materials such as lumber
- Toilets, windows, doors, etc.
- Any hazardous materials (oil-based paint, pesticides, etc.) Water-based paint can be picked up but must be dried out.
- Boats, boats on trailers, or ski jets
- Propane tanks
- Fire extinguishers
- All normal household garbage must be disposed of in your black trash can.