Dare to showcase businesses with 70% vaccinations

By on April 2, 2021

Safer Spot campaign will include stickers, gifts

(Dare County)

The Dare County Department of Health & Human Services has teamed up with Outer Banks Chamber of Commerce to recognize businesses, organizations and establishments who are supporting measures to curb the spread of the COVID-19 virus, by encouraging their employees to get vaccinated.

Any business, organization, or establishment which has at least 70% of their employees vaccinated will receive OBX Safer Spot recognition. OBX Safer Spots will receive an OBX Safer Spot window sticker and recognition on the Dare County OBX Safer Spot website (www.darenc.com/SaferSpot). Establishments that meet the 70% requirement, will also receive a gift bag with OBX Safer Spot give-a-ways, while supplies last.

“We know that vaccines are one of public health’s most essential tools in disease prevention,” commented Dr. Sheila Davies, Director of Dare County Department of Health & Human Services. “The COVID-19 vaccine is no exception and with enough individuals immunized, we will be able to get on the other side of this pandemic. Infectious disease experts estimate that in order to achieve herd immunity for COVID-19, roughly 50%- 80% of the population will need to be vaccinated. Based on this information, we fee that any establishment with at least 70% of employees vaccinated is infact a Safer Spot.”

Establishments that want to work towards Safer Spot recognition can register their organization at www.darenc.com/BeASaferSpot.  Employees or staff members who have been vaccinated can submit a vaccination confirmation form at www.darenc.com/VaccineVerify.

“We hope establishments will want to be a part of this campaign, as not only will it make patrons more comfortable, but it can also help employees feel safer,” commented Karen Brown, President and CEO of the Outer Banks Chamber of Commerce. “Healthy employees who feel safe and comfortable in their work environment will also work more productively.”

For more information on the OBX Safer Spot Campaign, visit www.darenc.comSaferSpot, call the COVID-19 Call Center at 252.475.5008 or email covid19@darenc.com

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Comments

• Andy Szakos

Good idea. Thanks for taking this initiative.

Friday, Apr 2 @ 3:03 pm
  • Dethrol

Wow, just wow…

Friday, Apr 2 @ 3:31 pm
  • Pedro

Disgraceful! Pressure businesses to pressure their staff into getting vaccinated when many people don’t want the vaccine. So, next step is to publicly recommend that visitors only frequent local businesses with this stamp of approval. Hey, but come on vacation whether you’re vaccinated or not.

Friday, Apr 2 @ 3:49 pm
  • Deborah Smith

Great! Since we only need 50% of the population vaccinated to achieve herd immunity, I’m free to remain in the other 50%! I feel so much better now. No need to be a guinea pig after all.

Friday, Apr 2 @ 10:17 pm
  • Barb

Soooooo incredibly stupid !!!!!!!!

Saturday, Apr 3 @ 6:46 am
  • Restaurant Worker

Yea jeeze this is so stupid to actually want to make people feel comfortable going to work and comfortable to frequent a business.

Saturday, Apr 3 @ 9:33 am
  • Cathy

There is nothing stupid or disgraceful about this. I think Joe Q Public will like knowing who and which establishments are taking this pandemic seriously, and who is taking any and all precautions necessary to rid the world of this health threat.

Saturday, Apr 3 @ 10:24 am
  • surf123

70% is meaningless if you have 30 employees at a restaurant and 9 of them have not been vaccinated and they all happen to be members of the wait staff. Maybe they could recommend the use of an armband to tell who has had the shot.

Saturday, Apr 3 @ 11:17 am
  • Tri-Village

How’s about tourists having bumper stickers that say they’ve been vaccinated. Not hard for businesses to have 70% of the employees vaccinated here. Most small businesses have lost a lot of employees because they can’t find anywhere to live. Oh well, whatever makes the tourists happy

Saturday, Apr 3 @ 5:32 pm
  • John T

This is crazy!No need to shame businesses for not pressuring their employees to get the vaccine.I’d be more concerned about the customers inside than I would the employees.

Saturday, Apr 3 @ 5:36 pm
  • Mark

Will signs or posters be put up requiring mask wearing or no service at these establishments? Or better yet visitors must be vaccinated to enter. The science says people can still get the virus even after being vaccinated.
    If an employer is requiring employees to be vaccinated but not customers, who are they really protecting?
    No shirt, no shoes, no vaccine, no service.

Saturday, Apr 3 @ 10:50 pm
  • Mark Jurkowitz | Outer Banks Voice

Mark, every business I go to does currently have a sign on the door requiring mask wearing inside.

Sunday, Apr 4 @ 10:36 am
  • Dave B

Nobody wants to get sick and nobody wants to be the reason why someone else gets sick.

Nobody has a right to know if anyone has or has not received a vaccination. PERIOD. This is private medial information.

People don’t need to know that someone who is at risk of serious side effects from a vaccine due to preexisting conditions has decided that the risks are too great to ignore. They don’t want the stigma of having to explain why they are not vaccinated, and why their business isn’t at the 70% vaccination level.

People don’t need to know that a pregnant woman decided to get vaccinated because of other risk factors.

People don’t need to explain why they feel more comfortable delaying their decision to get a vaccination that has not undergone extensive human trials.

People don’t need to explain that they have a religious objection to vaccinations.

For most, it’s just a jab, or a lack of a jab, and they are comfortable talking about it. For others, it is socially stressful, and it has a direct impact on their livelihood.

We need to push for privacy for all medical decisions. There is no need for vaccination records to become a sort of social credit score.

Contact your elected representatives, especially at the local level.

Sunday, Apr 4 @ 9:00 pm
  • Mark

@Mark Jurkowitz. Thank you Mark. You cement my point. How many businesses “enforce” the mask rule. How many businesses say, “No mask, no service? “
    I already know the answer, it’s rhetorical. No shoe signs are based on liability reasons, such as cut feet, and business owners being sued because of injuries to someone. So that’s why you see those posted signs.
    But when a deadly virus that has killed half a million people becomes less important than the employers bottom line to the point they don’t enforce a simple mask rule because people won’t come into the business if they do, then I again ask you who is being protected.
    Restaurant patrons only have to wear a mask upon entry. Server must keep it on always.
    If this tourism promotion, which is all it is, is such a good a safe idea, why not do it both ways. Ten employees being vaccinated in a business that serves 200 people in an inside environment, at close quarters, isn’t safe for the employees if no one else is being safe.
    It’s a double standard.
    Major League Baseball requires a vaccine card or negative test result to enter an outside venue. Masks required except when actively earning or drinking. Penalty for failing to comply is removal from the stadium. Opening day was last week. The stadiums were packed. Owners made money AND protected employees.
    Being safe is being marketed in 2021. Which means fear is being marketed.

Monday, Apr 5 @ 8:44 am
  • Southern Dawn

Before Sandflea claps back at me, I am not part of the I, ME, MY crowd. I have lost a family member to COVID while others in the household tested positive with no symptoms and another had to have heart surgery. I am one of the people @Dave B mentions above with medical conditions which prevent me from taking the vaccine. I have done everything the public health officials have asked me to do to slow the spread and I will continue to do so as long as it does not include putting chemicals in my body that my physicians have determined will put me at great risk of an adverse event. As a tourist I am not happy about this “Safer Spot” designation and it will not impact which businesses I will enter wherever I choose to vacation. If other tourists who travel by air, rent a car and drive through my state of Virginia want to feel “safe” then they should stay home.

Monday, Apr 5 @ 10:30 am
  • Dethrol

Saw a sticker in a store window for events from 1992. Figure this will be just about the same. How ‘bout everybody just take care of themselves and mind their own damn business.

Monday, Apr 5 @ 12:57 pm
  • scales of balance

Help me understand how this works vis a vis HIPPA compliances…I don’t understand how a business could even ask this of it’s employees.

Tuesday, Apr 6 @ 12:05 pm
  • what the what?

If I owned a restaurant and lost business because of this, I’d sue the health department.

Tuesday, Apr 6 @ 4:47 pm
  • LongTimeNative

“”Oh you need a job on the Outer Banks, great we’re hiring! Have you been vaccinated?? Oh, you haven’t? Sorry, we’re only hiring vaccinated people right now”……. said NO ONE EVER!!
    This was the dumbest idea, and has solidified my reasons for not joining the Outer Banks Chamber of Commerce. They will never receive a dime from me nor will the Outer Banks Voice. I’m a 40+ year old native of the outer banks and in my 11th year as a local business owner & employer of ten (we are open year round). We’ve worked through the entire last stressful year of the pandemic, safely. This is the last straw. I am completely flabbergasted at the audacity of DHHS, the OB Chamber of Commerce & the Outer Banks Voice for even proposing this discriminatory plan. I appreciate Southern Dawn’s comment and agree… If you can travel for vacation then what exactly do you need a “safer spot” designation for?? Enough said!

Tuesday, Apr 6 @ 10:03 pm