My 11th hour NFL mock draft
By Outer Banks Voice on April 29, 2021
Trevor Lawrence (clemsontigers.com); Zach Wilson (BYUcougars.com); Justin Fields (ohiostatebuckeyes.com); Kyle Pitts (floridagators.com).
By Aaron Jurkowitz | Outer Banks Voice
Starting at 8 p.m. tonight, April 29, all the speculation, rumors and gossip finally ends as the NFL teams actually begin selecting the top college players in the country. So here, right before the deadline, is my prediction of who goes where and when. (P.S. This mock draft includes no trades.)
- Jacksonville Jaguars: Trevor Lawrence QB Clemson. The most obvious choice of the draft, Lawrence is being called one of the best prospects ever. He is accurate, has good size, is athletic and is a safe prospect.
- NY Jets: Zach Wilson QB BYU. It seems pretty clear by now that the Jets will take Wilson. He is a boom-or-bust prospect with extreme arm talent.
- SF 49ers: Justin Fields QB Ohio St. This is when the draft begins. The 49ers are going to have to pick who they believe can be their franchise QB. I believe they will pick Fields, maybe the most athletic QB of the class with a lot of arm talent.
- Atlanta Falcons: Kyle Pitts TE Florida. The Falcons are in a difficult spot. Should they pick a QB, move back, or pick another position? I believe they will pick Kyle Pitts who a lot of people think is the second-best prospect in the class.
- Cincinnati Bengals: Penei Sewell OT Oregon. Even though Joe Burrow wants his former college teammate Ja’Marr Chase, I think the Bangles need to protect Burrow at the line of scrimmage. So I have them picking Sewell, who I believe is the best player in this class.
- Miami Dolphins: Ja’Marr Chase WR LSU. I have the Dolphins picking Ja’Marr Chase who is the best receiver prospect at this point.
- Detroit Lions: Trey Lance QB North Dakota St. The Lions traded Matthew Stafford this offseason to the Rams in exchange for picks and Jared Goff. I have Lance falling to pick No. 7, which is a great opportunity for the Lions to take their future franchise QB.
- Carolina Panthers: Rashawn Slater OT Northwestern. The Panthers could be a tradedown candidate, but I have them picking the best player available in Rashawn Slater, who is actually more NFL-ready at this moment than Sewell.
- Denver Broncos: Mac Jones QB Alabama. The Broncos trading for Teddy Bridgewater doesn’t change much for me and I still have them picking Mac Jones.
- Dallas Cowboys: Patrick Surtain CB Alabama. The Cowboys struggled defensively this past year and I have them taking Surtain even though I personally think Jaycee Horn is the better cornerback.
The rest of the first round….
- New York Giants: Micah Parsons LB Penn State
- Philadelphia Eagles: Devonta Smith WR Alabama
- LA Chargers: Christian Darrisaw OT Virginia Tech
- Minnesota Vikings: Jaycee Horn CB South Carolina
- New England Patriots: Jaylen Waddle WR Alabama
- Arizona Cardinals: Christian Barmore DT Alabama
- Las Vegas Raiders: Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah LB Norte Dame
- Miami Dolphins: Jaelan Phillips Edge Miami
- Washington Football Team: Alijah Vera-Tucker OG/OL USC
- Chicago Bears: Teven Jenkins OT Oklahoma State
- Indianapolis Colts: Azeez Ojulari Edge Georgia
- Tennessee Titans: Rashod Bateman WR Minnesota
- NY Jets: Gregory Rousseau Edge Miami
- Pittsburgh Steelers: Caleb Farley CB VT
- Jacksonville Jaguars: Kwity Paye Edge Michigan
- Cleveland Browns: Zaven Collins LB Tulsa
- Baltimore Ravens: Elijah Moore WR Ole Miss
- New Orleans Saints: Terrace Marshall WR LSU
- Green Bay Packers: Kadarius Toney WR Florida
- Buffalo Bills: Jayson Oweh Edge Penn State
- Baltimore Ravens: Landon Dickerson C Alabama
- Tampa Bay Bucs: Kellen Mond QB Texas A and M