OBX’s newest bridge nears completion

By on July 19, 2021

Comments

• C A

There is no doubt the completion of this much needed section of bridge will go far in getting folks in and out of those communities to the south.

Surely it’ll be appreciated by residents whose lives depend on it daily. This moment however does provide an opportunity to highlight another extremely important, and dire need of our southern Dare communities.

A real, safe high capacity storm, and displacement shelter along with an actual station for the tri-village Beach Rescue Service that works tirelessly in one of the most demanding areas of the entire east coast.

The much needed storm shelter(s) can hopefully erase some of the harrowing stories of survival, and displacement that happen frequently long after our visiting guests have enjoyed themselves.

Local families sleeping in church pews, elder residents living in tents for weeks with real needs. Able bodied neighbors hustling for sometimes 24 hours straight in trying to safely provide.

With the riches of the county, and talk of convention centers, and such public monuments I believe it prudent, and far over due to put some energy and resolve to these issues.

Many can say, and probably will that if these folks of Hatteras Island are so imperiled, why don’t they leave?

I would respond respectfully, much of the island population is lineage with an incredible life of pioneer, and resolve. You’d be asking for them to in a sense to abandon their heritage. Their homesteads, their way of life.

How quickly are you prepared to abandon yours?

Let’s make the investment in our people, it’s the right thing to do, and the right time to do it. Great job on the Jug Handle Bridge, now just these other issues please, thank you.

Monday, Jul 19 @ 1:48 pm
  • Nonie Booth

This is exactly what they need from the Wright Bros. bridge in Southern Shores, skirting around the town of Duck, NC.

Monday, Jul 19 @ 3:05 pm
  • Zack Bass

C C : I would rather be a live Evacuee than a dead “Pioneer Protecting My Heritage And Way Of Life”. Shelters on the Outer Banks will never happen. Nor should they.

Monday, Jul 19 @ 5:18 pm
  • XZDCATC

Why would microsoft be blocking the pics and video ?

Tuesday, Jul 20 @ 6:56 am
  • lippy

The Mid-Currituck Bridge is long overdue and it will help alleviate the safety issue to evacuate tens of thousands of people in preparation for a hurricane during tourist season.

BUILD THE MID-CURRITUCK BRIDGE.

Tuesday, Jul 20 @ 6:58 am
  • Stephanie bucks

I realize the need for this bridge, but I loved driving that stretch of highway 12. When we hit that piece of highway, that’s when I truly felt I was on the banks. Then is when you felt how vulnerable this precious land really is, you appreciate the beauty. Been driving that stretch since 1976, thankfully I’ll make it down in September to have one last chance to share that thrill with my grandchildren. I assume the highway will be closed and removed??

Tuesday, Jul 20 @ 7:52 am
  • Joe Cuffy

I disagree with the shelter argument. That’s the very last thing we need in my opinion. Evacuation is the best solution.

Shelters should be located outside the most fragile and suspected impact zones. Hatteras Island does not make sense. Martin County does.

Shelters of last resort seem to become available when needed. I feel this is the best policy.

Evacuation will remain the best solution for the visitors and citizens of Dare County. Not to mention the first responders.

As far as elders sleeping in tents for weeks, I’m calling hyperbole.

Tuesday, Jul 20 @ 8:13 am
  • Lemonshirt

“If you build it, they will come”. And now, they will keep on coming to an area that never should have been developed in the first place.

Tuesday, Jul 20 @ 11:56 am
  • Frank R Brown

When evacuation is called for a storm, tourists and their vehicles need to go. Storm shelters are not a good idea. Leaving is the smart chouce.

Tuesday, Jul 20 @ 8:24 pm