KDH gives preliminary approval to unnamed new coffee shop (Starbucks?)

By on August 9, 2021

Rendering of proposed new 2,500-square-foot coffee shop.

By a unanimous vote at its Aug. 9 meeting, the Kill Devil Hills Board of Commissioners gave preliminary approval for a proposed 2,500-square-foot drive-through coffee shop at 1208 S. Croatan Highway.

There was little discussion about the site plan. Mayor Ben Sproul commented there was a lot of detail provided in the plan. “It looks pretty thorough to me,” he said.

Commissioner John Windley added, “The neighbors of the property are very excited.”

The location is between Walgreens and AutoZone. The building currently houses several retail businesses — including OBX Scooters Vapors & Glass and Outer Banks Florist & Formals.

If the project moves forward, the existing building will be torn down.

Submission of the site plan and engineering was made by the MPF Investment Company. According to Jeffrey Fabrikant, General Partner, the new building will be a drive-through coffee shop, but at this time, the name has not been publicly disclosed.

However, on the architectural renderings of the new building created by Ionic Dezign Studios of Virginia Beach, the website PDF lists the rendering as Starbucks Kill Devil Hills\02_Design.

The preliminary plans do call for some improvements to the property, including improved access to adjacent properties and the possibility of improving Blue Jay Street, which is currently a dirt path behind the property, for safer access to the property.

Comments

• Kitty Hawker

Awesome, Let’s boot out some local businesses for Corporate!

Monday, Aug 9 @ 9:07 pm
  • Tired of Corporate

Hope those local businesses are able to re-locate, that florist has been my go to for years. How many more local businesses are we going to lose to corporations? First a Marshalls and now (maybe) this?

Monday, Aug 9 @ 9:58 pm
  • Kitty Hawker

Wow, what exciting news – local business shut out by corporation. We can only hope this new coffee shop ( Starbucks ?!?!) might put some local coffee shops out of business too!

Monday, Aug 9 @ 11:00 pm
  • sandflea

So, currently we have a severe shortage of workers here on the Outer Banks. I recall reading that there were over 3,000 jobs that went unfilled this year because there was no place for the workers to live. Most of the college students left last week and the J1’s are going back at the end of August. The visitors aren’t slowing down anytime soon. SO, we are adding a Marshalls, Target, Cook Out, Coffee Store, and an Event Center that will require about 300-400 employees therefore making the work shortage even worse. That and adding more stress to an infrastructure that is already not equipped to handle what is already here. Add on top of that the never ending construction of new homes. Brilliant!
    My suggestion is to develop Manns Harbor and beyond into another township of several thousand people. You will need the infrastructure to support it: fire, police, essential businesses, etc. BUT, that will take a long time. I can’t think of any other solution to fix this overpopulation problem. Way to try to fill a 5 lb bag with 20 lbs of **** guys!

Tuesday, Aug 10 @ 8:20 am
  • Jane

Autozone’s man made mountain/hill pushes enormous amounts of water in that direction during a deluge. Plan appears slab on grade. I’ll be interested in their stormwater plan and how much fill they are allowed to bring in, neighbors may be less excited later.

Tuesday, Aug 10 @ 8:49 am
  • RAJ

We Walgreens customers look forward to dodging coffee shop drivers using Walgreens parking lot as a drive thru to get to the traffic light at W Martin Street & Bypass.

Tuesday, Aug 10 @ 9:04 am
  • Susie

The flower shop has been my favorite place to go for flowers for years too. I hope he will still be here for business. He is great!

Tuesday, Aug 10 @ 10:27 am
  • Steve Railsback

Locals will go out of business only if people buy junk at the Starbucks. Folks should encourage everyone to boycott the purveyor of overpriced mud. Vacationers should pledge not to shop there. As Barney said: “Nip it in the bud.”

Tuesday, Aug 10 @ 11:11 am
  • C A

Admittedly not pleased in learning of this proposed venture. Agreed a shiny fancy new building would look better along the strip to many but not me….for the record.

In addition, this is likely the death of the current local businesses of whom I’m sure are already scrapping to operate in the inflationary climate we’re already in.

Yes, more way over priced corporate coffee squatting right down on the community should bring more charm.

Yum, can’t wait to try their Cafe’PillageMuckAVillage,………..

Tuesday, Aug 10 @ 11:16 am
  • Sandman

Sad to hear this… we relocated here about a year ago and the main reason was the small town atmosphere and great locals and local businesses… moved from a place completely ruined by these large chain stores. I know it was probably even much nicer years ago and I hope that this doesn’t happen so often that it ruins the area because we love it the way it is!

Tuesday, Aug 10 @ 12:35 pm
  • Glenn

That’s all we need!!! Please let’s all support our local, independent, small business cafes throughout the area…all of which totally outdo any Starbucks!

Tuesday, Aug 10 @ 1:28 pm
  • A to the B

I’m first to stand with Steve Railsback. As a yearly visitor, I always look forward to FPC, and a fresh ground pound or 2 for the week. I’ll never turn my back on them when I’m there.

Tuesday, Aug 10 @ 3:02 pm
  • WindyBill

The best Latin food store here, La Playa, also gets the boot. They were told it will be a property management office. Is her really an OBX anymore except in location? There are no local media outlets anymore, except on Hatteras and Okracoke. We’ve simply become another ‘Beachtown, USA’. It’ll probably be underwaterin 50 years, so who cares.

Tuesday, Aug 10 @ 4:15 pm
  • Mark Jurkowitz | Outer Banks Voice

Windy Bill, I don’t know what your definition of “local media” outlet is, but the Voice is owned by two people who live here.

Tuesday, Aug 10 @ 6:45 pm
  • Gloria

How do the owners of the current businesses feel? I don’t like Starbucks coffee, or their prices. I’d rather go to Dunkin donuts.

Tuesday, Aug 10 @ 5:49 pm
  • hightider

Support local businesses. Starbucks is the worst coffee I have ever had. Just wipe out the local color and replace it with corporate junk and completely forget what made the OBX a place to get away. Soon it will not be a get-away, it will be a get-away from. Only a hurricane will stop the “progress.”

Tuesday, Aug 10 @ 6:29 pm
  • Zack Bass

If God was going to give an enema to the Outer Banks the hose would enter through KDH.

Tuesday, Aug 10 @ 7:22 pm
  • Mark Jurkowitz | Outer Banks Voice

Zack, your comment is pretty gross, but at least its got personality.

Tuesday, Aug 10 @ 10:25 pm
  • Keepsupportinglocal

I’ll just keep supporting local and getting my coffee at Island Perk, owners are super nice and I never feel like I’m just another number. Charis is another good place to get coffee plus cruffins, if you haven’t yet you need to try them its worth it. Starbucks is another get em in get em out only care about the money with factory made everything and no welcome feeling.

Wednesday, Aug 11 @ 5:31 pm
  • Beach1

Drive through?
    So guess the climate crisis in a vulnerable area like OBX is just another hoax
    Sorry but IMO we need more bike/walk friendly destinations and safe paths to get to them

Wednesday, Aug 11 @ 7:03 pm
  • ABW

I am surprised the the Mayor is not more of a champion for local business since he once was the owner of one. I cannot imagine what a cluster a drive through will create in an already congested area of traffic , seeing what goes on at the Dunkin Doughnuts drive thru is a great indicator.

Wednesday, Aug 11 @ 10:58 pm
  • WindyBill

My apologies to Mr.Jurkowicz. Living here since 2014 and part owner of the Voice certainly means you are local. The Voice is the most openly public commentary forum here, and I, for one, am damn glad of it! More info on Mr. Loesch would be appreciated.

Thursday, Aug 12 @ 5:54 pm