Dare County reports most weekly COVID cases (279) since outset of pandemic

By on September 14, 2021

The Dare County Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) reports 279 new cases of COVID-19 in the week of Sept. 6-12, the highest number of cases in a single week since the pandemic began being tracked back in March 2020. There had been 259 cases reported by the county in each of the two previous weeks.

Four out of five (81%) of the new cases in the past week were among those who were not vaccinated against COVID, while 19% were breakthrough cases among the fully vaccinated, according to the DHHS’s new Sept. 14 COVID update.

In addition, the percentage of positive COVID cases reported here was 22.5% in the past week, up from 17.4% the previous week. There are currently 168 active COVID-19 cases among residents of Dare County, and there are 17 individuals hospitalized due to complications from COVID-19 (15 residents and 2 non-residents).

On the vaccination front, the DHHS now reports that 69% of Dare County residents eligible for the vaccine (12 years old and up) have received at least one shot of COVID vaccine while 65% have been fully vaccinated.

When it comes to giving another booster dose of vaccine to those already fully vaccinated, the DHHS Sept. 14 update stated that, we are waiting on information from the FDA and NCDHHS regarding booster (3rd doses) for individuals who were fully vaccinated with an mRNA COVID vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) at least 8 months ago.” That is an apparent reference to the ongoing debate among health officials and the Biden Administration over whether and when to give these booster shots.

The DHHS says it is organizing vaccination clinics that would administer boosters throughout the fall, but it adds that registration for those clinics is not yet open.

To read the complete update, click here.

Comments

• Just a mom

“Just waiting on recommendation…” the blind leading the blind.
    Holy Cow…it’s crazy times!
    Like I said it sure will be interesting to read about this time period in history in the future…that is if the truth makes it to print.
    The truth is science is evolving daily always has…no one knows what is the best treatment or preventive measure. However, many would like to push their fear and desire for calm on the unvaccinated. Throw stones and wait for guidance…wow.
    My heart aches for the lost, I am sorry for the sick, pray they get well, and glad for those who recover as with illness for all time…what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

Tuesday, Sep 14 @ 5:50 pm
  • Lee Holt

Yet the number of Dare County ACTIVE Resident cases has DROPPED from 186 to 168 and the mortality rate for Covid-19 Deaths remains the same. Dare County ACTIVE Residents Hospitalized is 15 yet last week it was 18. Non-Resident cases are up for transferred out 622 vs 509, but hospitalized is WAY down percentage wise; it was 5 and is now 2. Also who really knows the status of those non-residents after they leave? The Atlantic did an article on hospitalizations and it said more are being admitted but at a lower bar that really shouldn’t be. the article was titled “Our Most Reliable Pandemic Number is Losing Meaning” and here’s the link, https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/09/covid-hospitalization-numbers-can-be-misleading/620062/. I wish people, the media and politicians would stop yelling fire in a crowded movie theater. Remember what was posted years ago about the Weather Channel on our local business signs? Howards Pub even did a t-shirt! “The Weather Channel, Inaccurate Reporting at it’s best!).

Tuesday, Sep 14 @ 7:10 pm
  • Beach

Hey mom you got vaxxed to go to school. Get vaxxed now.

Wednesday, Sep 15 @ 6:35 am
  • Beach

Dr Holt….take a look statewide. Wear a mask and get vaxxed.

Wednesday, Sep 15 @ 6:37 am
  • One voice

Yet the question remains why wouldn’t you do the simple things to reduce your chances of getting and spreading the disease?

As for the blind leading the blind “just a mom” The dare county health and human service is certainly not blind nor is the FDA or NCDHHS. Where do you get your information from? Please if I have a medical issue or question go to your doctor not your church not the Internet and unfortunately not some of our politicians.

Wednesday, Sep 15 @ 7:59 am
  • Mike P

Instead of reading an article written by a musician quoting a non peer reviewed study that was done pre Delta.

Here is a link to real hospital staff in our area “The ED is getting crushed”

Peace!!

Wednesday, Sep 15 @ 9:26 am
  • sandflea

Just a mom;
    So many things to address here. Just curious, where do you get your “truth” and facts from? My sources include: Princeton Univ, Stanford, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Univ Minn, Baylor, UCLA, Duke, etc. I’m really at a loss as to how all of these institutions have missed the “truth” when it was right in front of them where someone like you has access to all of this valuable information to save the world.
    We aren’t pushing anything on you anti-vaxxers. The fact and TRUTH is, is that you guys are 99.3% of the problem. The TRUTH is, is that you guys are clogging up our hospitals preventing people with other serious medical conditions the ability to get care. I’m betting you or your parents didn’t put up a stink and demand to know what is in all of the other 12 vaccines you and your kids were required to get to get into school.
    “Crazy times” when you flippantly suggest the over 670,000 people that have already died from this virus just didn’t have the strength to ward off this virus.
    Since you brought up prayer, there have actually been studies about prayer in health care. Here, I’ll enlighten you (and others). People who know they are being prayed for actually did better than people who had no idea they were being prayed for. In other words, prayer has no effect on health care outcomes. It called a placebo effect.
    Your “heart aches”, but my brain hurts dealing you anti-mask/vaxxers. This is all about being dug in and stubborn at this point. The science is there, the vaccine ( and our way out of this) is there, the ability to deliver the vaccine is there. We all want to get back to normal, but that is not going to happen until most everybody gets vaccinated.

Wednesday, Sep 15 @ 9:35 am
  • Just a mom

I already got the dang virus fools! So have millions of us. And guess what… we’re all going to keep getting it. That’s a fact jack. Shut the front door on the vac mask crowd . Holy moly they crazy with fear!!
    I am all in that SCIENCE says my antibodies are better than yours.
    600,000 or more people die every year from heart disease and cancer etc… How many died of those things last year and a half? Folks I know who work in the medical industry say very few.
    It ain’t about the specifics…it’s a VIRUS! You can’t stop it!
    You all terrified individuals need to watch the movie Shawshank Redemption and follow the advise of Tim Robbins’s character… get to livin or get to dyin.
    We all are going to get to living! Thank you very much.

Wednesday, Sep 15 @ 12:19 pm
  • Lee Holt

To the armchair pundits out there. This has nothing to do with vaccination or no-vaccination. We’re also not talking about being safe or not safe. What we are talking about is over-sensationalization; half truths and mis-truths. Do your research and you will see this is not the first coronavirus. Many people have gotten sick and have also died from the prior ones. You might be surprised at just how many I’ll add! People also get sick and die from the yearly flu! Again, I say you might be surprised at just how many! Furthermore people die from all kinds of things. We just need to stop burying our heads in the sand.

Wednesday, Sep 15 @ 1:38 pm
  • Mark Jurkowitz | Outer Banks Voice

Lee, yes lots of things kill people. But I don’t get the “no big deal” fatalism here. This is a contagious disease, transmitted from one person to another, that we can do some things to help control. (And the seasonal flu doesn’t kill nearly as many people as COVID has).

Wednesday, Sep 15 @ 7:58 pm
  • Lucas

sandlfea,

Have you paid attention to how liberal higher education has gotten? The consistent theme in your sources is that it all comes from institutions of higher education. Let’s face it (like it or not) there are two groups in our society right now, liberals and conservatives. Subsequently, there are two narratives in our society as well. You got it, the one being spread by the liberal’s and the one being spread by the conservatives. The whole truth doesn’t lie in either of these narratives. The truth is somewhere in the middle. You ask “just a mom” where she is getting her information from. Do you have statistics, health histories, other contributing factors to support or denounce that the actual number of Covid deaths is in fact over 670,000 people? It’s not likely that your answer is yes because that information has not been made available. Since the onset of Covid, most hospital workers who are willing to be honest are saying that hospitals receive more money if they list Covid as the cause of death. There is power in prayer and if you don’t believe that, I hope that one day your mind is changed before it is too late! As for getting back to normal, you are in control of your normal. If you want to get back to normal then get back to normal. I am enjoying my normal life and living every day outside of a bubble. I know that my days ( as well as all of ours) are numbered from the start. I will continue to live my life and I will continue to do my best to stay health, practice good hygiene, stay out of people’s personal space and trust my life to my Lord and savior! All of which I was doing (and we all should be doing) before I ever heard the word Covid.

Wednesday, Sep 15 @ 2:49 pm
  • Just a mom

Two things.
    One, I so very much appreciate the grace of your words and the message behind them, Lucas. Beautiful.

And even though we apparently don’t view things/life with the same lens, I appreciate you giving me on occasion a voice/opportunity to speak, Mark.

Thank you, Both!

Wednesday, Sep 15 @ 8:46 pm
  • One

Wow… So sad… It’s a simple as Mark said “This is a contagious disease, transmitted from one person to another, that we can do some things to help control.” Do your part and unite America doesn’t matter whether you’ve had Covid doesn’t matter whether you have kids doesn’t matter what your political belief is this is a health crisis and we can make a difference… Greatest generation is rolling over in their graves for our stupidity for fighting each other

Wednesday, Sep 15 @ 8:50 pm
  • sandflea

Lucas;
    To answer your question “do I have facts”…yes. You can get that data from the institutions I just listed; which are some of the best research hospital systems in the world. Other similar systems exist in other countries as well. It is blindingly obvious to me you have no knowledge of healthcare and billing. If a Dr would knowingly bill to up charge a CPT code; that is called fraud.
    If I get my sources from higher education and there are two sources as you state; that would mean you get your “information “ from lower sources. Please cite your data showing “most hospital workers “ are committing fraud by up-coding. Btw, most hospital workers don’t have any idea about billing.
    Look up the data about prayer and outcomes. You have a Google machine, use it. If you get COVID and need to go to the hospital, don’t! Just pray it away. Those beds are for people who have other health care needs that aren’t preventable like COVID IS.
    Since you stated to me “my mind is changed before it’s too late”; do you have tangible proof I may be late for something?
    Do I pay attention to how “liberal” higher education has gotten? You bet! I have the degrees to prove it! Sounds to me like someone has sour grapes towards people who have higher education because someone wasn’t able to attain it. If I had to make a n educational guess, I would say I’m debating with a high school graduate.

Thursday, Sep 16 @ 7:13 am
  • moe.ron

Just a few thoughts on some of the comments made previously:

From “Just a mom”:

“I already got the dang virus fools!” – And you could get it again, you dang fool. It’s rare but possible.

“I am all in that SCIENCE says my antibodies are better than yours.” – You may want to reevaluate your science. I’ve seen studies that show 36% of Covid cases didn’t result in development of antibodies. Another study shows unvaccinated people are 2.3 times more likely to get Covid again.

“It ain’t about the specifics…it’s a VIRUS! You can’t stop it!” – This is my favorite. Yes, Covid is a virus, and so are the flu, Hepatitis, Yellow Fever, Smallpox, Polio, Ebola and HIV. Do we really want all those viruses running rampantly across our community and worldwide? Of course not. Polio has largely been eradicated world-wide. The only two countries with endemic Polio today are Afghanistan and Pakistan. Smallpox has been completely eradicated and only exists in laboratories today. How were Polio and Smallpox eradicated? Through vaccinations of course. Oh, the horror!

From Lee Holt:

“People also get sick and die from the yearly flu!” – Of course they do. But it is typically below 50,000 per year in the US, a much smaller number than the deaths experienced from Covid. Additionally, the annual flu doesn’t tax and overwhelm our health care system like the Covid has. I think many people fail to recognize the toll Covid has taken on our health care personnel. Likewise, people fail to realize the enormous cost of treating these patients when it easily could have been avoided with a simple shot.

“This has nothing to do with vaccination or no-vaccination.” – To me at least, it has everything to do with vaccination. If we all get vaccinated, this virus goes away.

“This is not the first coronavirus.” – Yes, that’s correct but not sure what the point is. And who has said that Covid-19 is the first coronavirus? And why is that even important? Let’s examine two of the more recent Coronavirus outbreaks – SARS and MERS. SARS came on the scene in 2003. The mortality rate was estimated at 3%. Fortunately, it was not nearly as transmissible as the current Delta variant of Covid. MERS appeared in 2012. It had a whopping 35% mortality rate. Fortunately, it was not very easily passed from person to person and fewer than 1,000 persons died.

“What we are talking about is over-sensationalization; half truths and mis-truths” – What you may consider over-sensationalism is not to some of us. Do you not think we should be reporting on the impact of this virus on our community, state, country or world? The US has now lost 1 in 500 persons to Covid. Shouldn’t we be discussing how the trends are, what things we can do to mitigate the spread and how we can move forward? I for one think we should. And the best and simplest way to do that is to continue publicizing our metrics, and urge people to get vaccinated if they are not. I’m afraid though that our vaccination numbers will soon top out. And we can thank those who refuse to be vaccinated for the continuation of this plight.

Thursday, Sep 16 @ 7:58 am
  • Lucas

sandflea,

The only sour grapes that I have with higher education is the agenda that it has but that is definitely not a debate to be had in this comment section. My information is coming from family members who work in the medical field as well as non family members from the medical field and my own personal research. My point is that current day higher education is highly influenced by one side of society and that narrative (in most cases) is vastly different from the other side of society. Face it, we live in a highly volatile and divided society. If you are getting all of your information from one side then you are not getting ALL of the facts or ALL of the truth. As I stated previously, you wont find the whole truth on either side. As for debating with a high school graduate, you are correct, I did graduate high school and then followed that up with graduating from Christopher Newport University with a degree in Sociology. So I do know just a little bit about social behavior, fear, influences, manipulation as well as how to research… I for one don’t think that my degree makes me any better or more or less intelligent than anyone else but I am proud of the work that I put in to get it.

Thursday, Sep 16 @ 11:38 am
  • Mark Jurkowitz | Outer Banks Voice

Lucas, I agree with you that we have dueling narratives about so many issues in this country, where people on each side can easily find “information” of some sort that validates their personal view. I would note, however, that there is such a thing as the real truth in this world (even if we can’t always know it) and that some information has a lot more truth in it than other information. In any event, the fewer shared truths we have as a society, the more polarized and divided the society becomes.

Thursday, Sep 16 @ 3:26 pm
  • Island Style

First I would like to thank moe.ron, for stating truth in a way that even a high school graduate can understand.

Second I would like to ask everyone that has not gotten vaccinated to please get your vaccine.

Third I would like to say prayer is good for everyone at anytime. If you do not pray, I will be glad to pray for you.

Stay healthy friends.