Moderna, J&J COVID booster shots now available

By on October 22, 2021

(Shutterstock)

An Oct. 22 release from the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHSS) states that COVID booster shots will now be available for North Carolina residents who have been vaccinated with the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson shots. Up until now, the booster doses had only been available to those who received their initial two doses of the Pfizer COVID vaccine.

“COVID-19 booster shots are an important tool to provide additional protection against COVID-19,” said NCDHHS Secretary Mandy K. Cohen, MD. “I encourage anyone who is eligible to get their booster.”

The Moderna COVID-19 booster shot is recommended for individuals who received their second dose at least six months ago and who are at high risk for severe illness or exposure based on their age, profession, living setting or health conditions. This includes people:

• 65 years or older, and
  • 18 years or older who:
    • live or work in a nursing home or long-term care facility;
    • have underlying medical conditions;
    • work in high-risk settings like healthcare workers, teachers and childcare providers or food workers; or,
    • live or work in a place where many people live together (for example, homeless shelters, correctional facilities, migrant farm housing, dormitories or other group living settings in colleges or universities).

The Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 booster shot is recommended for individuals ages 18 and older who were vaccinated with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine at least two months ago.

Pfizer-BioNTech (COMINARTY) booster shots have been available since Sept. 24 for North Carolinians at high risk for serious illness or exposure and who received their second dose at least six months ago.

Additionally, individuals are now able to receive any brand of the COVID-19 vaccine for their booster shot. Some people may have a preference for the vaccine type they originally received, and others may prefer to get a different booster. Limited preliminary evidence suggests that booster doses of one of the two mRNA vaccines — Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech — more effectively raise antibody levels than a booster dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

Booster shots are available anywhere COVID-19 vaccines are available. People do not need a doctor’s note to get a booster shot and may self-attest to eligibility. Individuals who want to receive a booster shot will need to know the dates of any past COVID-19 vaccinations, as well as the vaccine brand they originally received. Paper vaccination cards are helpful but may not be necessary. At-home vaccination and free transportation may be available.

North Carolina’s actions are based on recommendations from the CDC. Read the CDC’s full statement here.

More information about COVID-19 vaccine boosters and additional doses is available on NCDHHS’s website.

For more information about COVID-19 vaccines in North Carolina or to find a vaccine location, visit MySpot.nc.gov or call the state’s COVID-19 Vaccine Help Center for free at 888-675-4567.

(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)

Comments

• hightider

LOL. Typical – I called the first number in my zip code that stated they had the boosters and to call them for an appointment. They informed me they did not have the boosters and to call my primary care…I imagine they are more effective in Dare than in Pasquotank so good luck to everyone at staying safe and getting the booster if they want it.

Friday, Oct 22 @ 4:35 pm
  • Linda

I was able to quickly locate and schedule an appointment locally for a booster using this website. Good luck!

Saturday, Oct 23 @ 6:44 am
  • Ray

The governments VAERS ( vaccine adverse episode reporting system ) is the US Government’s tracking system for dangerous or deadly reactions to the vaccine , if you want to see how many deaths / 100s of thousands of serious adverse reactions episodes Likely caused by the jab every American should familiarize themselves with those numbers , they are enlightening !

Saturday, Oct 23 @ 7:04 pm
  • James

Would be nice if hotel workers qualified. I’ll get my Moderna booster as soon as they let me. I’ve had no problems with the first two covid shots or flu shots or any other vaccine in my life.

Saturday, Oct 23 @ 9:35 pm
  • sandflea

Ray;
    It would be nice if you could post the actual link stating the actual adverse reactions to the COVID vaccine. I and others would be interested in seeing that.
    James;
    The people that have adverse effects from the vaccine have other serious medical conditions that affect the immune system. The documented side effects are less than the ones attributed to aspirin. The flu shot is much less effective (about 50%) and the side effects are much greater.

Sunday, Oct 24 @ 12:01 pm
  • Just sayin

Sandflea, IMO, I don’t think James needed a lesson about adverse reactions to anything. All he did was state that HE did not have an adverse reaction. He wasn’t asking for your opinion or knowledge. It is a grand statement to say the only adverse reactions to the vaccine is from immune compromised people. That is absolutely not true. I witnessed a very healthy loved one get the second shot and be sicker than I’ve ever seen them for 2 days. I’ve seen a lot of your comments on many articles on this site, and you are one of those that often criticize others for their “incorrect” actions and opinions. Maybe you don’t know it all?

Sunday, Oct 24 @ 4:52 pm
  • Karl

If this was the 1980’s, everyone would be vaccinated and would have moved on. Too much information in this day and age and a lot of it is pure nonsense.

Sunday, Oct 24 @ 5:40 pm
  • Disgruntled

Just saying, IMO the criticism of others I’ve seen allowed here have little to do with correct or incorrect, it has more to do with fitting the excepted narratives or not. I too know of adverse reactions to the vaccine, one was very serious and that was after the healthy person had recovered from having covid.

Monday, Oct 25 @ 6:57 am
  • Dano

This is not the 80’s and not the same type vaccine. How many break through cases of small pox and polio were there? People have a choice and should not be required to take the vaccine.

Monday, Oct 25 @ 9:51 am
  • hightider

Regardless of any reaction to the vaccine – and I had a one day flu-like reaction 15 hours after my 2nd moderna shot, it is nothing compared to Covid. 3 years ago I had my first flu shot and got the first case of flu in 30 years. Last year I got the flu and pneumonia shots the same day/same arm at CVS and thought I had Covid, I was so sick. Turns out you should wait 2 weeks between the flu and pneumonia shots and have them in different arms. Today I went to my scheduled, confirmed appointment at Walgreens in Eliz City for my booster – and they had rescheduled me for the following week. The vaccine is not the perfect magic bullet, but it is mostly effective against a virus we are still learning about. Welcome to the future and understand there will be no 100% cure. The biggest and worse epidemic is ignorance and they will need to develop more than a shot for that.

Monday, Oct 25 @ 5:58 pm
  • Just sayin

Disgruntled. Exactly…that is why I put “incorrect” in quotes.

Monday, Oct 25 @ 6:45 pm