By Mark Jurkowitz | Outer Banks Voice on November 22, 2021
The Dare County Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) has reported 67 news cases of COVID-19 in the week from Nov. 15-21, a significant drop from the 109 cases from the previous week, and back down to the same number of cases (67) reported for the week of Nov. 1-7.
The 67 cases reported in the first week of this month represented the lowest level since 54 cases were reported the week of July 12-18.
Sadly, another county resident succumbed to the virus in the past week, becoming the 23rd to die since the outset of the pandemic in March 2020. The DHHS reported the deceased as a female between the ages of 50-64.
In addition, two county residents, a male between 50-64 and a female under 17, were hospitalized with complications from COVID in the week of Nov. 15-21.
In keeping very much with the recent trend, 50 out of the 67 cases reported from Nov. 15-21 (accounting for 75% of those cases) occurred among those who were not fully vaccinated or did not receive any COVID vaccine. The other 25% were “breakout cases” that occurred among the fully vaccinated.
Also according to DHHS data, there are currently 18 public school students with active cases of COVID-19 with 34 students quarantined. Among school staff, there are four infected individuals and 1 staffer in quarantine.