Identity of cyclist killed in Kitty Hawk released

By on May 20, 2022

(Kitty Hawk Police Department)

UPDATE: On the afternoon of May 23, the Kitty Hawk Police Department provided additional details about the accident that took the life of a cyclist on May 20. The cyclist has been identified as Christine Quinn of Vermont and she was visiting the Outer Banks at the time of the accident. The driver of the vehicle did not sustain any injuries. The investigation into the accident is still ongoing.

******

Cyclist killed in accident with motor vehicle

On May 20th, at 12:36 pm, The Kitty Hawk Police Department investigated a vehicle crash involving a cyclist and a motor vehicle. The cyclist was traveling north in the center turn lane on N. Croatan Hwy, near W. Lillian Street. The vehicle was traveling south on N. Croatan Hwy. The cyclist made an unsafe movement which caused the unfortunate crash.

The cyclist was transported to the Outer Banks Vidant Hospital in Nags Head, where she succumbed to her injuries. The crash is still under investigation at this time. Impairment or speed was not determined to be a factor in the crash.

No further details are currently available.

Comments

• Bill

It’s time to eliminate the turning lane and put in medians. Think of Battlefield Blvd in Chesapeake.

Friday, May 20 @ 5:57 pm
  • Greg

There should be a median on US 158. Tbe design of this road is dangerous.

Friday, May 20 @ 6:54 pm
  • Glenn

How tragic & extremely sad. Thoughts & prayers for the family of the resident or visitor we’ve lost. Please, please keep an eye out for pedestrians & bicyclists…there’s going to be so many visitors in our local area this summer…so sad.

Friday, May 20 @ 7:15 pm
  • Manns Harbor Man

There’s a good reason why we call them “Kamikaze Lanes.”

Saturday, May 21 @ 5:14 am
  • RAJ

“The cyclist made an unsafe movement which caused the unfortunate crash.” I wonder what “an unsafe movement” means?

Monday, May 23 @ 5:22 pm
  • Bill

Eliminate the turning lane. It was fine years ago before it became so congested. Put in medians.

Monday, May 23 @ 5:44 pm
  • Tom Jensen

There are no streetlights, the lines on the bypass need repainting, and people drive crazy. I liked it better when the speed limit was 45. It’s time to put in a bicycle lane the entire stretch of the beach.

Monday, May 23 @ 6:42 pm
  • surf123

It’s unfortunate she died, but riding a bike on 158 or any busy road is absolutely insane, but the bikers do not seem to understand they will be gravely injured or killed if a car hits them or vice versa. Even crossing 158 if not done at light with a crosswalk is a game of chicken when you are dealing with a lot of people who are on vacation and not paying attention because they are not expecting to see a bike in the middle of a 5 lane road. Compounding the issue is that a lot of people do not understand how the center lane works.

No question there needs to be medians and dedicated turn lanes. I believe this has been discussed and the business owners believed it would have a negative impact on their revenue. I do not have a reference for this so it may not be completely accurate.

Monday, May 23 @ 10:16 pm
  • Sarah

Prayers for all involved, and their families.

The lines desperately need to be repainted – you can’t see them at night or in the rain. The last time they repaved the road I had really hoped they would add a median to alleviate some of the risk of major accidents. Business owners freaked out, saying people wouldn’t be able to access their businesses. We LITERALLY have 2 roads…whatever you take one way you’ll take back. If tourists drive one way to get somewhere they’ll obviously drive back the opposite way.

ADD A MEDIAN AND MAKE OUR ROADS SAFER FOR ALL. Very few people know how to properly use our turn lanes. Add more crosswalks and extend our bike paths. With our revenue let’s figure out a public transportation option.

Tuesday, May 24 @ 12:39 am
  • Kitty Hawk

Medians are a dumb idea. Would worsen the road. Just put in pedestrian cross walks on 158. Stop lights for pedestrians only. It’s not the cars, it’s the people.

Tuesday, May 24 @ 2:13 pm
  • gigi

In this article, it says the driver made the “unsafe move”. The bicyclist was a dear friend of a co-worker; hopefully the true story will be determined.

Tuesday, May 24 @ 8:35 pm
  • Mark Jurkowitz | Outer Banks Voice

I am sorry for your loss.

Tuesday, May 24 @ 9:57 pm
  • Brenda Ortberg

In 2017, I was visiting Nags Head and I rode my bike along the beach road. It had just rained hard after Hurricane Harvey and the sidewalks were very high with water so I road close to the edge of the road. A fast driving truck barreled past me and so closely that I turned into a mailbox area and shattered my elbow. He just kept going. Three surgeries later, my arm is still not back to normal. Every year I vacationed there, people are hit on bikes. I would not advice anyone to ride their bikes there. Too busy with summer traffic.

Wednesday, May 25 @ 12:29 am