Nora’s Wish- Chicamacomico Treasures & Nostalgia hosts Good Ol’ Days
By Submitted Story on August 1, 2022
Nora’s Wish is Commemorating its Namesake’s Birthday and the Anniversary of The Mirlo Rescue
Monday-Friday, August 15-19, 2022
23772 NC Highway 12, Rodanthe
These dates had been honored with a traditional fish fry and in support of Chicamacomico Life-Saving Station Historic Site since the tiny cottage shop’s establishment in 2012 until the first year of the pandemic. Now, Good Ol’ Days are back!
This tiny cottage gift and nostalgia shop is built on ship’s timbers and was repurposed after Hurricane Irene, as it was previously a single-unit rental. Nora’s Wish was named for Nora E Midgett Herbert (1899-1969) who had been a beloved citizen of Hatteras Island’s Tri-Villages. The little business seeks to highlight island treasures, including its barrier island history.
Noras Wish Chicamacomico Treasures & Nostalgia hosts Good Ol’ Days events schedule:
- Monday, August 15, starting at 5:00 PM, will begin a complimentary traditional Rodanthe meal of fresh fried fish, stewed potatoes, cucumbers, and cornbread accompanied with the Delightful Acoustic Guitar & songs of Clifford Swain (Hatteras Native)
- Tuesday, August 16, from 2:00 – 4:00 PM, Author & Historian, James Charlet & his wife, Linda Molloy in period attire, 104 years after the famed rescue of the torpedoed British Oil Tanker, Mirlo, will present “mini-programs” at each half hour. Copies of his newest book,Shipwrecks of the Outer Banks may be signed AND personalized!
- Wednesday, August 17, during shop hours 10:00 – 6:00 PM, cups of Chicamacomico Clam Chowder will be complimentary.
- Thursday, August 18, at sunrise & sunset, Tri-village History Tours in-your-vehicle. Life-saving Breeches Buoy Reenactment at Chicamacomico Life-Saving Station Historic Site 2:00 PM is recommended.
- Friday, August 19, during shop hours 10:00 – 6:00 PM, cups of Homemade Peach Ice Cream will be complimentary.
For more information visit Nora’s Wish Chicamacomico Treasures & Nostalgia