Serious injury in KDH vehicular accident

By on August 1, 2022

Kill Devil Hills Police

(Photo credit Kill Devil Hills Police)

On July 31, a vehicle collision on US 158 in Kill Devil Hills resulted in serious injuries and the closure of the highway for approximately 2 hours.

At approximately 8:48 a.m., a 2019 Nissan operated by a 72-year-old male from Gilbert, Arizona was turning left onto US 158 from Prospect Avenue at the traffic signal. A Dominion Power work truck (a 2020 Freightliner) travelling northbound and towing a trailer ran through the red light at the Prospect Avenue intersection, striking the Nissan. The driver of the Dominion Power truck was a 55-year-old male from Chesapeake, Virginia.

The driver of the Nissan was seriously injured and eventually flown to Norfolk Sentara by Dare Medflight. At the time of this release, we do not have an update on the status of the driver. Alcohol was not a factor for either driver. The Dominion Power truck was travelling at approximately the posted speed of 50 mph at the time of the collision. The driver of the truck was taken to Outer Banks Hospital for evaluation.

Elements of this collision remain under investigation and charges are pending the conclusion of the investigation.

Comments

• tim

Trucks are very aggressive on the bypass way too much and too often. They tailgate and run lights, remember the septic truck in Kitty Hawk recently?

Have you ever seen a truck pulled over by a town cop? I never have.

Monday, Aug 1 @ 3:54 pm
  • Jim

As a local, I rarely see any police on the highway.
    People drive like idiots every day and night.
    Swerving in and out of traffic, speeding to get to the stoplight, tailgating, you name it.
    WHERE ARE THE POLICE?

Monday, Aug 1 @ 5:20 pm
  • Bob

Too many people run the red lights. On the bypass and beach road. I always wait and look before proceeding.

Monday, Aug 1 @ 6:11 pm
  • Jay

Tim I agree. Just about every time I’m on the bypass I see someone running a red light. If the LEO’s are too busy then install red light cameras. Of course the Tourism Board would probably object. Does anyone know what an acceptable level of injury & death due to red light runners is before action is taken? Having twice avoided myself getting creamed entering the bypass by red light runners just by me looking both ways when my light turns green.

Monday, Aug 1 @ 6:41 pm
  • Glenn

Red light runners are a constant menace on the highway and beach road. Both roadways have become extremely dangerous to travel on. Law enforcement is doing the best it can considering the ever increasing number of visitors to our area. Won’t be long before there’s another serious accident on the highway.

Monday, Aug 1 @ 8:38 pm
  • jerry

Reducing the speed limit during summer, designated turning lanes ,medians and crosswalks will save lives… Local politics and businesses only see $$$… The only accidents reported by this news outlet reflect only serious accidents. I would like to see a daily report of all the accidents that occur. Let everyone know the truth of how dangerous 158 is! Let the tourists know… Stop the obx locals from driving like they are on an interstate… Tickets for speeding and aggressive driving… Maybe leave early for work. Remember that you are at the beach… I know none of this will ever happen… I have seen Outer Banks change from 1969 to what the “OBX” is today… Change always happens both good and bad but proper planning and adapting is necessary.

Monday, Aug 1 @ 10:37 pm
  • KHer

Those Dominion vehicles are usually driven pretty safely.

After that horrible accident years ago (Colington Rd and Bypass) where 5(?) kids died because someone ran the red, I delay and look left and right after the light turns green.

Tuesday, Aug 2 @ 11:51 am
  • BA Handid

It’s not just here, it’s everywhere… The police are rarely out running radar, catching red-light runners etc. When a portion of the country makes the cops out to be villains for several years and makes their job even harder than it already is there are consequences.

Tuesday, Aug 2 @ 1:05 pm
  • tp

Ever since those four teenagers were killed by a drunk driver at the intersection of the bypass and Colington Rd. many years ago I have always looked both ways even if I have the green light.

Tuesday, Aug 2 @ 3:19 pm
  • Shevawn

Jerry, I am looking at reports I have obtained from NCDOT with ranking of cities with less than 10,000 based on all reported crashes from calender years from 2017-2020. We are well aware of the surge of drivers during peak season, however KDH remains #4, Kitty Hawk #9, Nags Head #15, for the entire State Of N.C. We cannot control stupidity behind the wheel but the most we can do is reduce the speed limit. I contacted “A” high ranking KDH elected official and one of his responses was ” soon, traffic will be so bad, no one will be able to do the speed limit”. Another response from him was ” No one will want to travel at a reduced speed at night”. The last one was , ” It will be hard to get Nags Head or Kitty Hawk on board. Let’s take hint from the intelligent officials in lower Currituck.

Tuesday, Aug 2 @ 8:14 pm
  • Scott

@Shevawn Reducing the speed limit will do nothing for this. And your high ranking KDH official is correct: You cant even muster 30 in a 50 zone in the summer time. When people leave a stoplight, you would think they were dragging a 5 ton ship anchor behind them. Speed isn’t the problem. Idiocy is. That bypass was put there for a reason: To move traffic briskly, and efficiently from one end of the beach to the other. The problem is, they didn’t stick to the original plan which was limited access. Then someone came up with the bright idea to give EVERY street access to 158. And now we have what we have. If you are afraid of speed, please stick to the beach road, or Bay Drive. I am sure you will find it pleasant.

Wednesday, Aug 3 @ 9:17 am
  • KHer

This is not a speed limit problem. It’s a people running red lights problem.

Wednesday, Aug 3 @ 11:01 am
  • jerry

F=ma Z=Zr+Zb Z=vt V2f=V2+2az NEWTONS LAW Physics * forces involved in braking…….I hope the injured gentleman is recoving…

Wednesday, Aug 3 @ 8:06 pm