Mack Rutherford, 17, to land at Wright airstrip on global quest

By on August 11, 2022

Visit comes a year after sister Zara made the same stop

Mack Rutherford (@Macksolo)

Update: According to the latest information, the timetable for Mack Rutherford’s landing at the Wright Bros. airstrip has been moved back by a few hours, to 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 13. To track his flight in real time, log on to My Journey – MackSolo.

*****

About one year ago, 19-year-old Belgium-native Zara Rutherford touched down at the Wright Memorial airstrip on her successful journey to become the youngest woman to fly solo around the world.

This weekend, her younger brother, 17-year-old Mack Rutherford, is scheduled to make the same stop at the birthplace of flight on his quest to become the youngest person to fly solo around the world. As of the latest information on the morning of Thursday, Aug. 11, Rutherford is slated to touch down in Kill Devil Hills on Saturday, Aug. 13 at 2 p.m. (The Voice will continue to update the schedule as necessary.)

Mack Rutherford started his journey on March 23, leaving from Sofia, Bulgaria, flying an ultralight Shark with a cruising speed up of 300 kilometers per hour (186 mph).

A posting on the MackSolo website MackSolo – The Youngest Person To Fly Around The World Solo, where you can track his journey, details his amazing aviation family tree.

“I was born in a family of aviators. My dad Sam is a professional ferry pilot, my mum Beatrice is a recreational private pilot. My sister Zara is a private pilot too and on 20 January 2022 she completed her own circumnavigation of the globe, becoming the youngest woman in history who has done so and the youngest person who circumnavigated the world in a microlight.

“My grandfather and great-grandfather on my mother’s side where private pilots and my great-great-grandmother on my father’s side was amongst the first South-African women to learn to fly. My great-grand uncle flew a Catalina during the last World War and died as a war hero.”

Comments

• Just a mom

God’s blessings to you young man!
    Travel safe!

Thursday, Aug 11 @ 12:12 pm
  • surf123

I can’t believe people feed into this stuff. It’s nothing more than someones parents funding a ridiculous stunt of zero benefit to anyone. It has to be said that there is no such thing as flying solo given the instrumentation available for use on an airplane. Take away all the instrumentation and roll like Amelia Earhart did and we might have something interesting to read. Compare this to the 4 women who rowed across the Pacific Ocean recently. While they could contact the rest of the world the effort they put forth was amazing. The ability to fly an airplane while using an array of gadgetry (including a SAT phone) removes nearly 100% of the danger and is nothing compared to actually doing something requiring strength, conditioning, and mental fortitude.

Thursday, Aug 11 @ 7:45 pm
  • sandflea

Surf123;
    Exactly! Well stated.

Friday, Aug 12 @ 7:01 am
  • Commentator

Surf123 is spot on. This is rich kid nonsense.

Friday, Aug 12 @ 10:15 am
  • Mark Jurkowitz | Outer Banks Voice

Really, we’re now into trashing this kid?

Friday, Aug 12 @ 12:13 pm
  • James R

What a pitiful existence one must have to derive joy from tearing down some kid trying to live out their dream. Petty jealousy betrays the blackened heart within.

Friday, Aug 12 @ 3:20 pm
  • tp

surf123 wrote:

“removes nearly 100% of the danger”

Believe me, long flight legs over water in a single-engine airplane are extremely dangerous. And this kid has already flown from Japan to the Aleutian Islands, An engine loss gives one no choice but to ditch, something that pilots can’t practice, Even in the calmest waters one would be very lucky to avoid serious injury or drowning. And even if they pull it off their problems are just beginning. And in heavy seas risk would rise exponentially. I had an eight thousand plus hour career as a pilot including flying for the Coast Guard. I would not fly a single engine airplane out of gliding distance of flat ground let alone cross an ocean in one. My sentiments over this kid doing this are similar to the company that built the airplane and declined any sponsorship or endorsement,

Friday, Aug 12 @ 4:03 pm
  • Glenn

How sad…so much hatred in this world. Congratulations, Mack! Wishing you and your fellow adventurers the very best! Thanks for stopping by the beautiful Outer Banks as part of your journey & safe travels the rest of the way!

Friday, Aug 12 @ 4:40 pm
  • tp

His ETA has been updated to 1700 local time today.

Saturday, Aug 13 @ 10:56 am
  • Mark Jurkowitz | Outer Banks Voice

Thanks, tp. It’s now 5:30 p.m.

Saturday, Aug 13 @ 1:48 pm
  • Corbin Bruton

I have two videos of his arrival in KDH today. They are on my FB page. I can send them also if you would like? Thanks.
    Corbin Bruton

Saturday, Aug 13 @ 6:57 pm
  • Mark Jurkowitz | Outer Banks Voice

Corbin, thanks. Sure, send them along.

Sunday, Aug 14 @ 9:20 am