OBX Medical Group reports reestablishing care for about 300 patients 

By on October 4, 2022

Outer Banks Hospital Board of Directors Chair Tess Judge provided an Oct. 4 update to the Manteo Healthcare Task Force on the Outer Banks Medical Group’s work “to fully restore, and expand, access to primary care services.”

Judge said that the group has been able to reestablish care for more than 300 patients so far, due to the arrival of new practitioners to the group. In May, 2,400 patients at the Manteo practice learned by letter that they would no longer receive care at the clinic due to a doctor shortage and were given a list of out-of-the-area providers to contact.

This summer, with the anticipated arrival of new providers at the Manteo location and in Nags Head, a waitlist phone line was set up as a way of restoring primary care services to those patients. In July, Dr. David Worthen joined the Manteo practice and Dr. Mark Worthen began providing care at the Nags Head facility in September.

“We are pleased to announce that Family Medicine-Manteo will once again have a full complement of providers when Dr. Erin Baker arrives at the clinic in early November, though it will take time to fully develop her patient panel,” Judge reported during the meeting. Marina Turner, the family nurse practitioner, will also begin practicing in early November at the clinic in Nags Head.

Judge also state that beginning Oct. 3, patients from the waitlist are being scheduled for Dr. Baker or Marina Turner based on the patient’s choice. She said that the Outer Banks Hospital and Medical Group was continuing to recruit for additional primary care, oncology, cardiology and hospitalist medicine providers at multiple locations throughout Dare County.

The Primary Care Access phone line (252-449-4540), Judge added, will remain open to all local residents who are looking for a primary care provider. The number is set up to receive voicemail only and callers who leave a message will receive a return phone call within three business days.

 

 

 




Comments

  • Jimmy

    And I’m suppose to applaud now? What about the other 2100 patients? Too bad they didn’t put some effort into finding solutions years ago when they knew doctors were going to be retiring/leaving.

    Tuesday, Oct 4 @ 6:22 pm
  • Ann

    I have not heard anything about a new appointment or anything for that matter. This is just a joke. This outfit is pitiful to say the least. Why did we ever get a call asking us if we wanted to
    continue with care and months go by and crickets. How were these 300 people chosen? I know that I called first thing and have heard nothing! When I called the office the receptionist was just rude!!!

    Tuesday, Oct 4 @ 8:20 pm
  • Pat nash

    I would like to know how they are picking people to see the doctor because it is not in order of how the appts were canceled. I should have already been in there because my appt that was canceled was the first week they left I should have been put on as soon as they got a new doctor ..wtheck???

    Wednesday, Oct 5 @ 12:56 am
  • Steve

    Know the saying “fool me once…”? So how long will you be providing services this time? Will I get another letter saying that poof….you’re closed? Oh….& here’s a list of other places you can go.
    If I don’t have trust in my doctors or their employer/medical group, what’s the point? Vidant/ECU Health has destroyed my trust. Now it’s smoke & mirrors time again. Good luck to the 300 chosen ones….even better luck to the 2100 others left behind.
    Do ya feel that smoke being blown up your butt again? It’s time for our elected officials to intervene…..

    Wednesday, Oct 5 @ 5:23 am
  • Jim

    Jimmy – agreed! Meanwhile I now have to travel about an hour to my new doctor. This was poorly handled all around.

    Wednesday, Oct 5 @ 8:25 am
  • NH Resident

    Considering the other 2100 patients cannot sit around and wait the whole rebuild local health care thing is a moot point. Most have moved on and established a primary care provider in another County and possibly another State. This is a huge set back for Dare County.

    Wednesday, Oct 5 @ 8:30 am
  • sandflea

    Doctors are in a never ending revolving door down here. A few years ago, they had about 5 leave in about a one month period. Vidant is not the best organization to work for. One problem in keeping doctors here is that the spouses of the doctors don’t care for it here. Many come from a metropolitan area and then move to here. Unless you’re really into fishing and surfing; there really isn’t much else here. That and the fact there isn’t any place for them to live. I’d wouldn’t be surprised that by the time they find another doctor or two, another one or two will move on.

    Ann: The rudeness is just a given for many of the office workers in healthcare today. It’s everywhere and its sad.

    Wednesday, Oct 5 @ 11:48 am
  • Phoebe

    Yet everyone will continue to vote for the same fools that allowed this to happen in the first place! The same officials that allowed Vident to take over. The same elected officials that allowed the sale of Dare County’s Home & Health Hospice Group to Brightspring, which is a “for-profit” business group. Dare County’s Hospice was a fantastic source of support & help to families in need, way before the hospital was even built. What has happened to this beach? It’s clear our elected officials don’t care. Wise up folks!!!

    Wednesday, Oct 5 @ 12:55 pm
  • MonopliesRule

    Monoplies such as Vidant rule. This is the treatment that you get when the CON Laws are still on the books in NC.

    Certificate-of-need (CON) laws require healthcare providers to seek permission from state regulators before they offer new services, expand facilities, or invest in technology. Researchers find that these laws tend to restrict access to healthcare, make services more expensive, and undermine the quality of care.

    Wednesday, Oct 5 @ 2:03 pm