By Outer Banks Voice on June 14, 2021
This moving mother-and-son story was posted by the Wild Horse Fund today.
We had to perform a difficult rescue on Saturday (June 12), one that has been in the works for a year.
After Alex was born last year, his mom Lizzie got a wound on her knee that didn’t want to heal. She was sound and in good condition otherwise, so after consulting with the vet we decided to leave her in the wild so that she could raise Alex. Otherwise, we would have to remove them both and we really didn’t want to do that.
We monitored her closely through the summer and fall, knowing that the plan would be to remove her for treatment this summer once Alex was old enough to be weaned. Unfortunately, the pair disappeared deep into the marsh in the early winter and despite our staff and Carova residents looking for them regularly, we never could find them. We even spent a few extra minutes during our recent helicopter survey to see if we could spot them from the air.
On Friday we got a call from one of the residents who had been helping us, letting us know Lizzie and Alex had shown up in her yard. So Saturday morning, we jumped into action and went to rescue Lizzie. We blew two tires in the process, and it was very difficult (emotionally) for us to separate her from Alex even though we knew he would be ok. But at the end of the day Lizzie walked right up onto the trailer like she had known the plan all along. She did an amazing job raising a big, strong, healthy colt and now it was her turn to be taken care of. Alex was understandably upset but seems to be adjusting just fine.
We are fairly certain that Lizzie is suffering from the same fungal infection that Riptide had last summer, which will require surgery at NC State. Right now she is at the rescue farm learning how to be handled and led so it will be less stressful for her and the staff at NCSU, but we anticipate taking her to Raleigh towards the end of this week or beginning of next. We’d also like her to gain a little bit of weight before she has surgery.
She’s been started on antibiotics, has pre-op x-rays scheduled, and the wound is getting cleaned and medicated daily. She is not out of the woods by any stretch of the imagination. We will know more about what we’re facing in the next couple days and will certainly keep everyone posted. But for right now, Lizzie is stable and comfortable at the farm; she immediately started eating hay and took a big drink of clean water and stands quietly to get her leg cleaned. She’s young and otherwise seems to be in good health so we are *very* cautiously optimistic, but don’t want to get ahead of ourselves yet. All of this could change in an instant, but we want to be as open and transparent as possible every step of the way. This is going to be a long journey for Lizzie.
This rescue would not have happened if it weren’t for the incredible support of our community. Jeff and Angie Foster let us borrow a trailer tire when ours blew, and Jeff put it on and helped us get re-hitched and up the beach, and also got a new tire back on our beach truck. Jay Bender picked us up and got us back to our headquarters for another truck when that tire blew, our amazing Currituck deputies kept an eye on us as we were heading up and down the beach, and a whole host of Carova residents helped us locate and track the horses Saturday morning.
Our vet talked us through the very emotional separation of mom and son for which we are grateful — sticking to the plan can be hard in the heat of the moment, even when you know it’s the right thing to do. And finally, our staff deserves major kudos for jumping into action early Saturday morning and getting the job done despite all the difficulties.
As soon as we know more about what Lizzie is facing in the coming days we will post another update, but in the meantime please send her all your good energy, prayers, light, and love. As with every rescue, we are going to do everything in our power to save her. If you’re able to donate towards her veterinary care, we would be very appreciative. We’re able to do this work because of your support. We know the horses can always count on you when the call goes out – you are just as much a part of the team as everyone with boots on the ground here! Thank you.
For more information or to donate visit https://www.corollawildhorses.com/
NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS: BIDDER PRE-QUALIFICATION REQUEST: Barnhill Contracting has been selected as the Construction Manager at Risk by Dare County and is seeking to pre-qualify construction trade and specialty contractors to submit bids for furnishing Labor, Material, Equipment, and Other for the new “Dare County – EMS 1 / Fire Station 14” (KDH) located in Kill Devil Hills, NC. PROJECT DESCRIPTION: The scope of the project encompasses approximately 36,000 sqft of new construction and 18,000 sqft of demolition on a 3.5-acre site located at the 1630 N Croatan Highway, Kill Devil Hills, NC. The project includes masonry bearing walls supporting a Standing Seam Metal Roof over Light Gauge Trusses housing administrative, living and support spaces along with 6 apparatus bays. Principal trade and specialty contractors are solicited for the following Bid Packages: BP750 – Turnkey Siding. Additional Packages may be added and/or deleted at the discretion of the Construction Manager. Historically underutilized business participation is encouraged. Interested contractors should submit their completed prequalification submittals to Meredith Terrell by December 2, 2022, via email at email@example.com or mail to PO Box 31765 Raleigh, NC 27622 (Office Location – 4325 Pleasant Valley Road, NC 27612). PREQUALIFICATION FORMS CAN BE OBTAINED from BuildingConnected through this Invite under the “File” tab or from BuildingConnected link on the Barnhill, Bidding Opportunities website at app.buildingconnected.com/ by selecting “Dare County – EMS 1 / Fire Station 14 – Prequalification”, or by contacting Meredith Terrell firstname.lastname@example.org (919-604-2367). Please submit completed prequalification forms A and B along with all required supporting documentation and with All Bid Packages you are Prequalified for Checked. Form B must be submitted for this project. Form A is good for 1-Year and if you have submitted one to Barnhill within the last year, it should still be valid. If you are unsure, please verify this with Meredith. Target Bid Date: January 2023